Slow Worldwide Printer/MFP Growth in Third Quarter
According to market-research firm IDC, the worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market saw its overall shipment value grow 1.1 percent year-over-year to approximately $11.6 billion in the third quarter of 2019 (3Q19). However, there were strong pockets of growth – particularly for Epson, and the A3 color laser segment.
Note that in its research, IDC tracks A2-A4 devices. Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC).
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- Japan recorded year-over-year growth for the second consecutive quarter with shipments up 6.1 percent to more than 1.5 million units. The growth was propelled by positive performances in both the inkjet and laser segments, which grew 5.7 percent and 7.7 percent respectively.
- The A3 color laser market posted 5.7 percent year-over-year growth with approximately 653,000 units shipped worldwide in third-quarter. Contributing to the growth was a 7.2 percent year-over-year increase in A3 color laser MFP shipments.
- Epson outperformed all other companies in the top-five in terms of shipment growth. The vendor delivered a year-over-year increase of 4.3 percent with worldwide shipments of more than 4.6 million units in the quarter.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q3 2019 (based on unit shipments)|
|Companies||3Q19 Unit Shipments||3Q19 Market Share||3Q18 Unit Shipments||3Q18 Market Share||3Q19/3Q18 Growth|
|1. HP Inc.||9,487,349||39.5%||10,347,765||41.4%||-8.3%|
|2. Canon Group||4,979,177||20.7%||5,319,163||21.3%||-6.4%|
|5. Kyocera Group||504,593||2.1%||492,300||2.0%||+2.5%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, December 4, 2019|
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC’s Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
- May 2019: Worldwide Printer, MFP Shipments Down in First Quarter
- May 2019: IDC Reports Lower Printer and Copier/MFP Shipments in Western Europe
- April 2019: IDC Reports Declining Printer-Consumables Sales in First Quarter
- February 2019: Worldwide Hardcopy-Peripherals Market Down 4.8 Percent in Fourth Quarter
- December 2018: Worldwide Printer/Copier Shipments Down 1.2 Percent in Third-Quarter