Global Printer/Copier Market Slows in Second Quarter
The worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market declined 5.6 percent year-over-year with more than 22.2 million units shipped in the second quarter of 2019 (2Q19), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Both inkjet and laser unit shipments showed negative year-over-year growth in 2Q19, down 6.6 percent and 3.5 percent, respectively.
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- Ink-tank inkjet printer/All-in-Ones, on a global basis, enjoyed positive year-over-year growth of 3.4 percent in unit shipments. Epson led the pack, shipping more than 2 million units shipped in 2Q19.
- Color laser MFP shipments grew 2.0 percent year-over-year to more than 1.4 million units shipped worldwide in 2Q19.
- Japan recorded a year-over-year increase of 4.7 percent to more than 1.1 million units shipped for the quarter. The year-over-year growth was propelled by a positive performance in the inkjet segment, which posted a 6.6 percent gain.
- With a year-over-year decline of 3.3 percent , HP Inc. outperformed all other companies in the top-five in terms of unit shipments. The vendor showed year-over-year increases of 0.5 percent and 3.5 percent in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) and the U.S. markets, respectively.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2019 (based on unit shipments)|
|Companies||2Q19 Unit Shipments||2Q19 Market Share||2Q18 Unit Shipments||2Q18 Market Share||2Q19/2Q18 Growth|
|1. HP Inc.||9,454,318||42.6%||9,774,853||41.6%||-3.3%|
|2. Canon Group||4,179,533||18.8%||4,687,392||19.9%||-10.8%|
|5. Kyocera Group||436,971||2.0%||463,349||2.0%||-5.7%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 2019|
- August 2019: IDC Reports Decline in Indian Printer/Copier Market
- May 2019: IDC Reports Lower Printer and Copier/MFP Shipments in Western Europe
- April 2019: IDC Reports Declining Printer-Consumables Sales in First Quarter
- January 2019: IDC Names Leaders in Managed Print and Document Services (Updated)
- November 2018: IDC Reports on Booming Inkjet-Printer Market in India
- August 2018: IDC: Worldwide Printer and Copier Maintains Modest Growth