HP Seizes $7 Million Worth of Counterfeit Printer Cartridges
Channel Asia reported today that in a joint effort with local law enforcement, HP Inc. has seized counterfeit ink and toner printer products worth US$7.18 million during a 15-month operation across Southeast Asia.
The campaign was conducted by the HP Anti-Counterfeiting and Fraud (ACF) Program, and addressed counterfeiting of HP ink and toner cartridges in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Vietnam.
HP joined local law enforcement in more than 17 raids. There were five arrests.
“Seizures from these raids consisted of items like finished and unfinished cartridges, packaging materials and various sets of labels,” a statement from HP read. “Counterfeit printing supplies pose a serious threat to consumers and businesses alike.
“The use of counterfeit supplies can often result in printer damage, malfunctions, and is not covered by printer hardware warranties. More importantly, it can result in lost revenue and unnecessary downtime for business.”
Globally, sales of all counterfeit goods reached $1.2 trillion in 2017 and is predicted to increase to US$1.82 trillion by 2020.
“HP regularly conducts checks and raids to reduce counterfeits in the supply chain, and protect customers and businesses that work with HP,” the HP statement added. “This process decreases the likelihood of customers and partners unintentionally purchasing counterfeit ink and toner, hence slowing down these supplies from reaching the marketplace.”
Aside from enforcements and raids, large and medium-sized businesses that are HP customers can request a Customer Delivery Inspection (CDI), a protection service if they suspect that counterfeit products are included in delivery.
HP also “proactively protects” channel partners and customers from unauthorized printing supplies through the Channel Partner Protection Audits (CPPA), an audit for the vendor’s partners. Partners who pass the CPPA can communicate this to customers.
- March 2019: HP Warns of ‘Zero Tolerance’ for Counterfeit Printer Supplies
- March 2019: Amazon Launches Project Zero to Combat Counterfeits
- December 2018: HP, Police Seize 67,000 Fake Print Cartridges in Nigeria
- March 2018: HP Speaks Out on Canon’s Massive U.S. Patent-Infringement Campaign
- February 2018: HP: Clone Toner Cartridges are Hazardous to Users’ Health, Environment
- November 2017: ‘Clone’ Third-Party Toner Cartridges: Good Deal or Not?
- May 2017: Authorities Seize 100,000 Counterfeit HP Toner Cartridges in Saudi Arabi
- February 2017: HP Seizes over 1.9 Million Counterfeit Printer Cartridges in Six Months, Updates Security Label