Since partnering with internationally recognized recycler Close the Loop in 2008, Toshiba says it’s prevented more than 1,229 metric tons – the equivalent weight of 10,712 average-sized professional football players – of electronic waste from hitting landfills.
Through Toshiba’s ecoSmart Toner Recycling program, the company’s spent imaging products are transformed into reusable material via a zero-thermal recovery process. These components are often incorporated within future products thereby contributing to the circular economy.
Toshiba also notes that powder recovered from recycled toner cartridges is a primary element in an asphalt product used to resurface roads. Plastic from spent toner consumables is also used to create pens and rulers.
Close the Loop is a leading global recycler of imaging consumables including inkjet cartridges, laser toner cartridges, drum units, copier bottles, and more. Using state of the art materials separation processes, all cartridges are recycled with zero waste to landfill.
“Fostering and maintaining a sustainable environment in the communities where we live and work is a signature mandate of Toshiba as well as a primary directive for many of our partner and client organizations,” stated Toshiba America Business Solutions President and CEO Scott Maccabe. “While our leadership and workforce are pleased with the success of our recycling program, we strive to continue our commitment and improvement to this vitally important initiative.”
Toshiba’s toner recycling program is a primary reason the company’s award-winning e-STUDIO multifunction printers are listed on the EPEAT(Electronic Products Environmental Assessment Tool) registry, the definitive global rating system for greener electronics.
- April 2019: Canon Receives 2019 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award
- April 2019: Ricoh Receives Energy Star Partner of the Year Award
- March 2019: HP Announces New ‘Forest-Positive’ Eco-Friendly Strategy for Printing
- February 2019: HP Outlines Eco Goals, Announces New Toner-Supply Partner
- February 2018: Canon Opens New Eco Technology Park for Recycling, Remanufacturing, Environmental Education
- October 2017: Toshiba Canada to Provide PrintReleaf Reforestation Program for Platinum Customers
- June 2017: Toshiba America Shipping Eco-Friendly Copier/MFP with Erasable Paper
- June 2017: HP Makes Ink Cartridges from Recycled Plastic Bottles in Haiti