Latest Mopria App Version Features New MS Office Feature
The Mopria Alliance, a global non-profit organization dedicated to providing universal standards for mobile print and scan, today announced the latest release of the Mopria Print Service, version 2.8, which is said to enable users to easily print Microsoft Office-format documents, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, by using the app’s popular “share to print” feature.
The expanded feature is said to benefit frequent users of mobile email, file browser, and file-sharing applications, which play an important role in the mobile workplace. With the new capability, users can “share to print” to send a document directly to a printer, without having to open the document in a proprietary or operating system-specific viewing application. This is especially useful for preserving the original format of the document, which could otherwise be altered when opened in a third-party app.
The update expands on the current “share to print” functionality found in the Mopria Print Service providing mobile print capabilities for many commonly used file types, including PDFs, Web pages, image files and more. By adding “share to print” support for Microsoft Office documents, Mopria Print Service enables enterprise users to print high quality files without having to install large productivity apps on mobile devices.
Greg Kuziej, chairman of the board at the Mopria Alliance, commented: “The ability to print professional looking documents on the fly, directly from a mobile device, is an important feature for enterprise users. Today, many enterprise mobility management solutions don’t always support an easy way to directly print email attachments or to print right from a file sharing service or file browser on a mobile device. Share to print changes that.”
To add “share to print” functionality with Microsoft Office files, Mopria Print Service 2.8 users will be prompted to complete a one-time download of the DirectOffice for Mopria app from the Google Play store. DirectOffice for Mopria is an official, distraction-free extension app developed by Qualcomm, a board member of the Mopria Alliance.
The Mopria Alliance was founded by Canon, HP, Samsung and Xerox, and the nonprofit membership organization has since grown to 21 members, representing the worldwide print and scan business. In addition to the founding companies, the Mopria Alliance today includes Adobe, Brother, Epson, Fuji Xerox, Huawei, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark, Microsoft, OKI Data, Pantum, Primax, Qualcomm, Ricoh, Sharp, Toshiba, and YSoft.
- December 2018: Mopria Helps Provide Easy Printing for Windows 10
- December 2018: New Mopria Scan App for Easy Android Scanning
- August 2018: With Help from Mopria, Android 9 Default Print Service Now Includes Wi-Fi Direct Printing
- May 2018: Mopria App Makes Android Scanning Easy
- February 2018: As Mobile-Printing Pioneer, Mopria Alliance Aims for 1 Billion Mopria-Printed Pages this Year
- November 2017: YSoft SafeQ is First Mopria-Certified Enterprise Print Server
- November 2017: Mopria Print Service 2.3 Provides New Mobile-Printing Capabilities with Share-to-Print
- August 2017: New Mopria Mobile Printing with Android 8.0 OS Features Automatic Printer Discovery, No Downloads
- February 2017: Over 300 Million Users Now Using Mopria Mobile-Printing Solution
- January 2017: Samsung Enabling Mobile Printing for Android Users with New Mopria Certification