HP Warns of ‘Zero Tolerance’ for Counterfeit Printer Supplies
CRN reports that HP Inc. issued a strong warning to those who try to sell counterfeit and imitation HP toner and ink supplies, with HP Inc. EMEA Print General Manager David Ryan stating last week at the HP Reinvent conference that HP is taking a “zero tolerance approach” to counterfeits, clones and imitations.
Counterfeit cartridges are fraudulently labeled to appear to be of the HP brand, but in fact are not. Remanufactured, refilled, or new-built cartridges are not fraudulently labeled as made by HP. However, all of these non-OEM cartridges may infringe on intellectual-property rights and patents.
“Some partners don’t realize that these cartridges are violating intellectual property, and that is something we will tackle vigorously,” Ryan said.
“We’ll continue to work with loyal partners to take all the action we can where illegal trading practices are being engaged.
“We’re increasing our lobbying efforts to ensure that, from a government affairs perspective, the trading practices of some of these clone companies follows the same standards that any product would do – in terms of certification and compliance. That is an area that is under address right now.”
Ryan also said that imitation cartridges are environmental risks, have high failure rates, produce poor print quality, and can damage printers, according to HP testing. Wirth Consulting has tested a number of these third-party cartridges and found that virtually all produced poor print quality and/or had high failure rates.
HP’s warnings come on the heels of unexpected slow supply sales for its first quarter, particularly in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) regions.
- December 2018: HP, Police Seize 67,000 Fake Print Cartridges in Nigeria
- March 2018: HP Speaks Out on Canon’s Massive U.S. Patent-Infringement Campaign
- February 2018: HP: Clone Toner Cartridges are Hazardous to Users’ Health, Environment
- November 2017: ‘Clone’ Third-Party Toner Cartridges: Good Deal or Not?
- May 2017: Authorities Seize 100,000 Counterfeit HP Toner Cartridges in Saudi Arabi
- February 2017: HP Seizes over 1.9 Million Counterfeit Printer Cartridges in Six Months, Updates Security Label