This week at HP Reinvent, HP Inc.’s largest global partner event, HP unveiled its next wave of office A3 LaserJet MFPs, new JetAdvantage Apps, extended print security, and new more energy-efficient LaserJet A4 printers with new EcoMart black toner.
New JetAdvantage Apps connect the HP MFP to digital platforms. JetAdvantage Apps are pre-built, can be made to order, or can be built by customers, with management and development tools supported by HP cloud services. Each app is said to streamline key workflow tasks. HP says it’s on track to provide the broadest range of workflow integrations, with 35 Beta apps already available today, and with over 200 development partners.
Apps are integrated into the MFP touchscreen, much like with mobile-device apps. HP says that instead of relying on a computer to connect paper documentation with software, the MFP can now act as a go-between and simplify workflow processes.
For instance, users can send scanned images to their chosen repository, or print documents from repositories from the MFP’s touchscreen. HP JetAdvantage apps are designed to easily integrate with typical cloud repositories such as Box, Dropbox, and Microsoft SharePoint, as well as with commonly used software applications such as iManage, and Concur.
Apps range from those offering basic functions, such as delivering scans to a repository, to apps that allow for some customization, to those developed specifically for one unique use. HP says this ability to hyper-customize means that some apps may only be offered in applicable locations.
Possible apps include mobile-payment apps, shipping solutions, and climate control for the office.
Some apps may be free, while others may have a fee; see this HP brochure for more information.
This case study shows how Soluciones in Argentina is already using HP JetAdvantage Apps and the JetAdvantage Link Platform to provide custom workflow solutions.
Smart Device Services (SDS) Adoption
At HP Reinvent, HP also reported how SDS, which provides proactive monitoring and servicing for HP printers and MFPs, has helped partners reduce their service costs. According to HP, partners who have adopted the SDS solution are reporting average service cost reductions of 17 percent or more. According to HP, SDS can remotely resolve problems and equips service techs with the information to achieve higher first-visit printer fix rates.
SDS can now predict failures of key components just before they happen, enabling a fix before the device fails, giving users a no-downtime experience. Watch here how SDS is helping TT Tecnosistemi, which saved 23 percent on service costs in 2018.
“Print Security Leader”
According to a recent HP survey, 83 percent of respondents have secured their PCs, and 55 percent their mobile devices, but only 41 percent have secured their printers. As a result, more businesses are increasing their requirements for print security, an area where HP says its leadership in security solutions and standalone services gives its partners a competitive edge.
According to HP, it’s the only print company that meets NIST requirements for cyber resiliency, has a Bug Bounty program (see here), and offers devices with embedded HP Sure Start BIOS protection, and an inbound and outbound malware-monitoring system, all with self-healing capabilities.
- HP says it’s the only print vendor with SD-PAC Certified firmware and software with secure software-development life-cycle best practices incorporated into a solutions’ design, development and testing. Certification includes HP FutureSmart firmware, HP JetAdvantage Security Manager, HP Access Control, HP JetAdvantage SecurePrint, and HP JetAdvantage Insights.
- Extending HP’s commitment to partner-focused security training, certification, and sales tools, HP introduced a partner-security training and certification campaign with channel tools to assess print-security gaps, develop proposals, and provide partners with revenue-generating security services. To date, more than 700 partners are participating.
New FutureSmart Release
HP introduced new FutureSmart enhancements across the enterprise and managed printer and MFP fleet. With the new HP Custom Color Manager, users of HP A3 and A4 printers and MFPs are provided with a real-time preview so that they can quickly adjust color as needed, and deploy color profiles across a print fleet. More than a dozen additional new features – including advanced copier features like Expert Copy for the “power user” and server-less job accounting – are available.
As with previous releases, customers can update existing compatible devices with the latest FutureSmart firmware to benefit from HP’s newest capabilities.
New Printers, MFPs
The New LaserJet 600 Series features industry-first innovations for A4 devices, which HP says will enable its managed partners to increase their services margin:
- Cartridge Access Control – secures the cartridge-access panel, and ensures all toner is used before a cartridge is replaced.
- Fixed paper-tray guides – help reduce a managed partner’s highest call incident, which are paper jams.
HP says that Predictive Sensors embedded within the device, combined with its Cartridge Access Control, can save partners using HP SDS, up to 17 percent in service costs.
Expanded LaserJet A3 Portfolio
The expanded LaserJet 700 and 800 series features new entry-level models, all of which HP says feature the industry’s strongest print security to help protect customer’s devices, data and documents.
New Low-Melt Toner for New LaserJet A4 400/500 Printers
HP introduced new energy-efficient HP LaserJet A4 400/500 printers that use HP EcoSmart black toner, which it says use an average of 21-percent less energy than previous generations of HP printer systems. (With low melt toner, toner particles can be fused to paper at a lower temperature, thus conserving energy.)
Data sheets for the new models are available as follows:
HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M751 Printer Series – here.
HP Color LaserJet Managed E75245 Printer Series – here.
HP Color LaserJet Managed MFP E8764du-E8766du Series – here.
HP LaserJet Managed MFP E82540du-E8257du Series – here.
- March 2019: HP Launches Newly Enhanced Channel-Partner Programs
- March 2019: HP Announces New ‘Forest-Positive’ Eco-Friendly Strategy for Printing
- March 2019: HP Next-Gen OfficeJet Pros With Smart Tasks, Enterprise Security, More
- February 2019: A Closer Look at HP Inc.’s First-Quarter Results
- December 2018: HP Making Many Direct MPS Accounts Available to Partners
- November 2018: HP Reports Stellar Fourth-Quarter, Fiscal-Year Results
- July 2018: HP Launches First ‘Bug-Bounty’ Vulnerability Reporting for Printers and Copiers