Big Changes Appear To Be Underway at Xerox’s Global Imaging Systems
We stress that Xerox has neither confirmed nor announced any of the changes discussed in the following article concerning its Global Imaging Systems (GIS) company. However, recent posts at The Layoff – an anonymous discussion board dedicated to discussing company layoffs – indicate that various changes may be underway at GIS.
According to anonymous posts at The Layoff, in a Webcast held this week for Xerox employees, Xerox’s Mike Feldman explained that Global Imaging Systems will now be known as XBS. Among some other changes said to be on the way are the sale of real estate, offshoring of billing operations, changes in sales compensation, and reduction in management compensation.
There has also been some speculation in the industry that Xerox will make GIS a direct-sales group selling only Xerox products. This would likely satisfy activist Xerox investor Carl Icahn, who, along with Xerox investor Darwin Deason, were instrumental in derailing a proposed purchase of Xerox by Fujifilm. Icahn has stated that the sale of competitor products by GIS dealership companies is “to the detriment of Xerox.”
Xerox acquired Florida-based GIS, a supplier of office-technology systems, in 2007 for approximately $1.5 billion in a bid to expand its distribution network for the SMB segment. Since that acquisition, GIS then went on to acquire a number of multi-vendor office-equipment dealers itself. Dealers that have been acquired by GIS over the past several years sell and service printers, copier/MFPs, network integration services, and software solutions, with products sourced from Xerox, Konica Minolta, Toshiba, Kyocera Mita, Panasonic, Muratec, HP Inc., IBM, Microsoft, Nuance, and other companies. GIS dealers operate in 40 states and in the District of Columbia.
- January 2019: Major Reorganization Underway at Xerox
- December 2018: Layoffs Hit Xerox
- August 2018: Xerox Announces Job Cuts at U.S. and Canadian Locations
- July 2018: Xerox CEO Discusses Path Forward, Fuji Xerox, and Suppliers
- July 2018: Xerox Reports Second-Quarter Results, Addresses Fuji Xerox Partnership
- July 2018: Xerox May Sell Leasing Unit
- June 2018: Xerox to End Fujiflm-Fuji Xerox Partnership, Source Products from Other Vendors
- June 2018: Judge Refuses to Lift Injunction Barring Xerox-Fujifilm Deal
- June 2018: Fujifilm Sues Xerox for $1 Billion over Failed Merger Deal