New Mopria Scan App for Easy Android Scanning
The non-profit Mopria Alliance, which consists of printer and copier OEMs dedicated to making mobile printing and scanning easier, today released its Mopria Scan document-scanning app designed for the Android operating system.
According to the Alliance, the new Mopria Scan provides a complete scan solution and universal standard that’s compatible with most manufacturers’ scanners. The new app enables scanning of photos, documents, and other media directly to an Android device. Mopria Scan is available for download from Google Play or at the Mopria website.
The Mopria Scan app is said to streamline the scanning process by enabling users to scan directly from their scanner or copier/MFP to an Android device. Whereas previous scanning methods required vendor-specific applications to be installed, Mopria Scan eliminates the hassle of installing apps for multiple scanners and most scanner brands are supported.
Mopria Scan is said to arrive at a time when the workforce increasingly favors mobility and digital workflows. In a recent study conducted by the Mopria Alliance on millennial habits, 60 percent of respondents indicated that when it comes to digitally capturing print documents, they would prefer to use a scanner over simply taking a photograph with their cell phone. In addition, over 80 percent of respondents said that they used email to send documents electronically. Of those, nearly 70 percent used their mobile device to send those documents, and 23 percent upload them to cloud storage.
Greg Kuziej, chairman of the Board at the Mopria Alliance, commented: “Mobile scanning is more important now that ever and this research shows the increasing demand for digital document scanning and sharing on mobile devices. With the enhanced usability of archived documents, mobile scanning increases the efficiency of the process while also enabling new collaborative and remote use cases.”
Mobile scanning offers several benefits, such as the ability to save files on a mobile device, in the cloud, or straight to a mobile app. Mobile scan functionality means users can send their scanned files directly to email, file browsers, document viewers, or cloud-based storage services such as Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, and more. Mopria Scan also offers a wide range of universal settings options, so that users can specify resolution, color, file format, and custom scan areas.
Brands that support Mopria Scan include: Brother, Canon, Dell, Epson, Fuji Xerox, HP Inc., Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark, NEC, Pantum, Ricoh, Samsung, Sharp, Ricoh, Toshiba, and Xerox.
How It Works
The Mopria Scan app automatically connects an Android phone or tablet to scanners and MFPs:
Open the app you want to scan to and look for the scan option, button, or icon. This scan function is often found under the attach option in the app’s menu.
From your app, tap Attach, Open, or Add, and then tap Scan using Mopria.
Tap your scanner.
Tap FINISH to send the scan to your app.
- August 2018: With Help from Mopria, Android 9 Default Print Service Now Includes Wi-Fi Direct Printing
- May 2018: Mopria App Makes Android Scanning Easy
- February 2018: As Mobile-Printing Pioneer, Mopria Alliance Aims for 1 Billion Mopria-Printed Pages this Year
- November 2017: YSoft SafeQ is First Mopria-Certified Enterprise Print Server
- November 2017: Mopria Print Service 2.3 Provides New Mobile-Printing Capabilities with Share-to-Print
- August 2017: New Mopria Mobile Printing with Android 8.0 OS Features Automatic Printer Discovery, No Downloads
- February 2017: Over 300 Million Users Now Using Mopria Mobile-Printing Solution
- January 2017: Samsung Enabling Mobile Printing for Android Users with New Mopria Certification
- June 2016: New Mopria Print Service 2.0 Provides User Authentication, More, for Android-Printing to Mopria-Certified Printers and MFPs