IDC: Worldwide Printer and Copier Maintains Modest Growth
The worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market grew 0.9 percent year-over-year with more than 23.5 million units shipped in the second quarter of 2018 (2Q18), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Inkjet and laser unit shipments both expanded in the quarter, each growing 0.8 percent year-over-year.
Note that IDC tracks A2-A4 devices for its Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC).
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- HP Inc. remained the top HCP company with 3.5 percent year-over-year shipment growth. Third-ranked Epson and fourth-ranked Brother also saw positive year-over-year growth, while second-ranked Canon declined 4.4 percent year-over-year year.
- Color laser 21-30 ppm devices recorded year-over-year growth of 41.1 percent in unit shipments. The double-digit expansion was helped by strong performances from the top companies, especially HP Inc., Brother, Canon, and Xerox.
- Epson enjoyed the largest year-over-year shipment growth, increasing 5.1 percent to more than 4.1 million units shipped. This was largely due to its strong growth within the Asia/Pacific and Japan regions, where business inkjets and ink-tank inkjet models continue to thrive.
HP Inc. enjoyed a particularly strong performance in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) and in the United States. growth was driven by attractive inkjet-model pricing deals, as well as strong demand from small business customers for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281, a color laser device.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2018 (based on unit shipments):
|Companies||2Q18 Unit Shipments||2Q18 Market Share||2Q17 Unit Shipments||2Q17 Market Share||2Q18/2Q17 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||9,588,962||40.8%||9,263,749||39.8%||+3.5%|
|2. Canon Group||4,694,281||20.0%||4,909,474||21.1%||-4.4%|
|5. Xerox Group||476,255||2.0%||576,827||2.5%||-17.4%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 21, 2018|
For more information about this IDC Tracker, contact IDC’s contact Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
- May 2018: Sixth Consecutive Quarter of Growth for Worldwide Printer and Copier/MFP Market
- March 2018: Global Managed Print Services Market to Reach $61.36 Billion by 2025
- February 2018: Epson Sees 12.2 Percent Growth in Worldwide Printer Shipments
- November 2017: Slight Uptick for Global Printer and Copier/MFP Market in Third Quarter
- August 2017: IDC: Worldwide Printer and Copier/MFP Shipments Continue to Show Modest Growth in Second Quarter
- June 2017: Global Printer and MFP Shipments See Modest Uptick in First Quarter
- March 2017: IDC: Small Increase in Global Printer and MFP Shipments in Fourth Quarter; Gains for HP, Epson
- December 2016: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Declines Slightly in Third Quarter but Growth for Asia-Pacific
- August 2016: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Improves in Second Quarter, Reports IDC