Canon Launches New PIXMA Color-Inkjet Printers with Alexa Voice-Command Capability
Canon U.S.A. today launched new voice-controlled color-inkjet PIXMAs for home and small-offices users, including a new PIXMA for home craft users, and new document scanners.
Compatible with the Amazon Alexa virtual assistant, the new printers enable Amazon account holders to issue voice commands such as “Alexa, start ‘Canon Printer’ and ‘print a coloring page’” to an Amazon Echo or other Alexa-enabled device, enabling users to hands-free print materials such as coloring pages and number place puzzles, using only their voice. Users can also confirm their printer’s status, such as current ink levels, using voice commands, and order ink ink cartridges on Amazon.
Canon plans to include support for such Google Assistant-enabled devices as Google Home towards the end of 2018, which will then enable Google account holders to print content and confirm printer status information using voice commands as well.
PIXMA TS9521C Crafting Printer
The new PIXMA TS9521C Crafting Printer ($249.99 ERP) for home users, which Canon says was especially designed for home craft users, enabling users, for instance, users to print items such as greeting cards, and 12″ x 12″ border-less prints. It also features a built-in printable patterns and an automatic document feeder (ADF).
Other features include:
- Print on up to 11″ x 17″ media, plus 7″ x 10″ greeting-card printing, and 12″ x 12″ printing on card stock paper, making it ideal for scrapbooking projects
- 45 built-in patterns so users can create custom paper backgrounds
- Built-in SD memory card slot
- Multipurpose paper tray that can accommodate a variety of media
- Canon’s redesigned Easy-Photo Print (EPP) app
- Print on photo paper, as well as disc labels and magnetic photo paper
- Compact unit measures 7.6″ x 18.5″ x 14.5″
- Duplex printing and two-sided scanning with ADF
The PIXMA TS9521C is also Canon’s first printer to feature Amazon Alexa voice-controlled commands. Google Home voice activation will become available by the end of this year.
Next-Gen Home-Office Printers and All-in-Ones
Canon U.S.A. today also announced four new PIXMA TS-series and TR-series Wireless Home Office All-in-One (AIO) printers: the PIXMA TS9520, PIXMA TS8220, PIXMA TS6220, and PIXMA TR4520 AIO printers.
Along with hands-free voice control, the new printers feature smartphone-based printing and editing for users with compatible smartphones through the Canon PRINT and Easy-PhotoPrint apps.
- The PIXMA TS9520 Printer ($249.99 ERP) is a more-business focused model and features print, copy, scan (two-sided) and printing on media up to 11″ x 17″ media. It also also features an enhanced multipurpose paper tray, enabling users to print on select materials other than paper, such as disc labels, and features a five-ink system.
- The PIXMA TS8220 Printer $199.99 (ERP) is said to be a compact business and home office 3-in-1 option and prints on up 8.5″ x 11″ media. It’s been redesigned with a mirrored finish. It features a 4.3″ touch panel and 45 built-in patterns for customized prints. It features six individual ink tanks.
- Similar to the TS8220, the PIXMA TS6220 ($149.99 MSRP) 3-in-1 is said to feature high-speed document printing for producing text, graphics, and features 35 built-in patterns to create customized prints. As with the other TS models, the TS6220 also features five individual ink tanks.
- Canon’s 4-in-1 (print, copy, scan, fax) PIXMA TR4520 ($99.99 MSRP) supports automatic copying of multiple sheets with an automatic document feeder (ADF). It can copy both sides of an ID card or card-sized documents automatically.
All five new printers include two-sided printing, copying, scanning, and Wi-Fi wireless connectivity, and should be available next month.
New additions to the Canon scanner lineup, the CanoScan LiDE 300 Color Image Scanner and CanoScan LiDE 400 Color Image Scanner are said to be lightweight and portable. Powered by USB and featuring an advanced Z-lid expansion top, both scanners enable scanning of documents up to 1.5″ thick, , such as magazines and books.
The CanoScan LiDE 300 Color Image Scanner has an estimated selling price of $89.99, while the CanoScan LiDE 400 Color Image Scanner has an estimated selling price of $69.99.
Apple Air Print Compatibility
Canon also announced that the PIXMA TS9521C, as well as the PIXMA TS9520, PIXMA TS8220, PIXMA TS6220, and PIXMA TR4520 Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printers, now support Apple AirPrint wireless mobile printing. AirPrint allows users to print photos, greeting cards, emails, Web pages, and documents wirelessly from compatible Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch mobile devices, without the need to download or install device drivers.
In addition to these five new printers, the other PIXMA printer models currently compatible with the AirPrint wireless printing technology include:
PIXMA TS3120 Wireless1 Inkjet All-In-One Printer
PIXMA TS5120 Wireless1 Inkjet All-In-One Printer
PIXMA TS6120 Wireless1 Inkjet All-In-One Printer
PIXMA TS8120 Wireless1 Inkjet All-In-One Printer
PIXMA TS9120 Wireless1 Inkjet All-In-One Printer
PIXMA TR8520 Wireless1 Inkjet Home All-In-One Printer
PIXMA TR7520 Wireless1 Inkjet Home All-In-One Printer
For a complete list of all AirPrint-compatible PIXMA printers, visit Canon here.
- June 2018: A Closer Look at Xerox’s New ‘Gabi Voice’ Voice-Command Solution for Xerox AltaLink Copier/MFPs
- February 2018: ‘Print My Calendar:’ HP Introduces Voice-Activated Printing
- January 2018: Canon Rolls Out New Family of Color Inkjet Dye- and Pigment-Ink Card and Label Printers
- December 2017: Sharp Is First Copier Provider Working With ‘Alexa for Business’ for Voice-Driven Copiers, More
- August 2017: New Canon PIXMA TS All-In-Ones for Home Use Feature Six-Ink System, ‘Message in Print App,’ More
- August 2017: New Canon New PIXMA TR8520 and TR7520 Inkjet All-in-Ones with Business-Class Features
- April 2017: Canon Says Business-Inkjet and Laser-Printer Expansion in China is ‘Key Priority’
- December 2016: Canon Brings ‘MegaTank’ Refillable Ink-Tank Inkjets to U.S.
- December 2016: Canon Expands Inkjets with Refillable Ink Tanks with New PIXMA G4400
- July 2016: Canon Introduces Second-Generation MAXIFY Business-Inkjet Family