Sharp Reports Latest Financial Results
Sharp Corporation of Osaka, Japan – which last month reported that it was getting back in the PC business by purchasing Toshiba Corporation’s PC business (see here) – today reported financial results for its fiscal first quarter (April 1 to June 30, 2018), reporting net sales of 533 billion yen, up 5.4 percent versus the same quarter a year ago. Operating profit was 24 billion yen, up 45 percent, and profits totaled 19 billion yen, up 32.6 percent, both versus the same quarter a year ago. Net income per share was 29.99 yen, versus 21.5 yen for the same quarter a year ago.
Of note is that Sharp stated that net sales were higher year-over-year for six consecutive quarters beginning in the fourth quarter of Sharp’s 2016 fiscal year. Sharp also stated that “every profit measure showed significant growth.”
Smart Business Solutions
For its Smart Business Solutions group, which includes copier/MFPs, digital signage, and professional displays, Sharp reported first-quarter sales of 78.6 billion yen, up 8.9 percent versus the same quarter a year ago. Operating profit for the group was 3.6 billion yen, up 20.7 percent versus the same quarter a year ago.
Sharp’s other business segments also reported sales increases for the quarter. Sales for the Smart Homes segment rose 15.6 percent, while sales for the IoT (Internet of Things) Electronic Devices segment rose 33.6 percent. However, sales for Sharp’s remaining business group, Advance Display Systems, were down 15. 4 percent. However, operating profit for the Advance Display Systems group was up 55.6 percent versus the same quarter a year ago. Operating profit was up for all business groups.
For its current fiscal year that will end on March 31, 2019, Sharp is forecasting net sales of 2,890 billion yen, up 19 percent, and profits totaling 80 billion yen, up 13.9 percent, with both versus the previous fiscal year.
- July 2018: Sharp Cancels Share Sale
- July 2018: Sharp Set to Continue M&A Strategy
- June 2018: Sharp Purchasing Toshiba’s PC Business
- May 2018: Mike Marusic Appointed President and CEO of Sharp Imaging & Information Company
- April 2018: Reflecting Profitable Fiscal Year, Sharp to Pay Dividends For First Time in Six Years
- January 2018: Sharp Corporation Revenue and Profits up for Nine-Month Period
- January 2018: Sharp Corporation’s Operating Profit for Nine Months up 270 Percent
- December 2017: This Week in Imaging: Sharp National Dealer Meeting First Impressions
- December 2017: Sharp National Dealer Meeting: Foxconn Benefits, Smart Office, Smart MFPs, Smart Meetings, and More