New Brother Inkjets with Hybrid Cartridge/Ink-Tank System Provide Printing For Up To Two Years
Brother International today introduced two new Brother INKvestment Tank inkjet printers that it says feature a revolutionary new inkjet-printing system that combines inkjet-cartridge printing with high-yield ink-tank-printing, providing up to two years of printing right-out-of the box (based on an average monthly print volume of approximately 150 pages consisting of 60-percent black pages and 40-percent color pages in accordance with the ISO/IEC 24711 test standard using the four provided ink cartridges.)
Brother says it re-engineered its ink cartridges to hold more ink, and also created an internal ink-storage tank for delivering more ink. The new All-in-Ones feature a re-engineered internal ink storage tank, moving the mechanism from traditionally in the ink cartridge, to inside the device, which Brother says enabled it to significantly increase the amount of ink in cartridges. It says that this new inkjet system provides the advantages of an ink-tank system, while still enabling users to use ink cartridges.
The two new models consist of the INKvestment Tank MFC-J995DW ($199 estimated retail price), and MFC-J995DW XL ($299 estimated retail price), the latter of which includes enough ink out-of-the-box to print for up to two years.
The new color inkjet All-in-Ones also feature Brother’s Intelligent Page Gauge for monitoring ink usage. Page Gauge monitors ink usage and displays estimated remaining page counts on the All-in-Ones’ 2.7″ color touchscreen. When it’s time to replace the ink, Brother Super and Ultra High Yield INKvestment Tank cartridges are available. Brother says users can print for less than $0.01 per page in black and less than $0.05 per page in color using the INKvestment Tank Ultra High-Yield replacement cartridges.
Both models feature wireless printing from PC desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets, with support for Apple AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Brother iPrint&Scan, and Mopria. Plus there’s NFC (Near Field Communication) “touch to connect” mobile printing and scanning with NFC-enabled devices. Users can scan to Google Drive, Google Drive for Business, OneNote, Box/Box for Business, Evernote/Evernote for Business, and Dropbox/Dropbox for Business.
Brother Cloud Apps provide: scan to mobile devices; fax forward to cloud/email; scan to Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word; and scan to e-mail.
Connectivity is via Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, NFC, Wi-Fi Direct, and Hi-Speed USB 2.0, and the recommended monthly print volume is up to 1,500 pages.
INKvestment Tank Replaceable Ink Cartridges:
- INKvestment Tank Super High-yield Ink package (1 each of CYM cartridges); each CYM cartridge each yields approximately 1,500 ISO pages per cartridge and is priced at $68.99
- INKvestment Tank Super High-yield CYM Ink cartridges; each CYM cartridge yields approximately 1,500 ISO pages and is priced at $24.99
- INKvestment Tank Super High-yield Ink Black cartridge yields approximately 3,000 ISO pages and is priced at $34.99
- INKvestment Tank Ultra High-yield Ink Black cartridge yields approximately 6,000 ISO pages and is priced at $59.99
- INKvestment Tank Ultra High-yield Ink CYM cartridges; each CYM cartridge yields approximately 5,000 ISO pages and is priced at $64.99
Cost per ISO Color Page:
- Super High-yield Ink: 6.4¢
- Ultra High-yield Ink: 4.9¢
According to Phil Lubell, senior director of B2C product marketing at Brother: “Printers should be a tool to enhance productivity, so, we engineered the Brother INKvestment Tank to help solve two major printing challenges – unexpectedly running out of ink and having to replace ink soon after purchasing a printer. By providing up to 365 days of ink without the need to replace cartridges, the new all-in-ones help entrepreneurs and home office users alike focus on all the other important things happening in a year.”
Brother’s new INKvestment Tank printers are nicely designed, and have an attractive feature set and pricing. Wirth Consulting has also tested enough Brother printers to state that their generous suite of standard software and security features are highly competent. However, all of this goodness does not preclude a downside: their ISO color cost per page is on the high side when compared to the high-volume, cartridge-based HP Inc. Instant Ink plans, and very high when compared to HP Inc. and other tested ink-tank printers.
- 1-15 pages, free; 15+ pages, 10¢ each
- 1-50 pages, 6¢ each; 50+ pages, 6.7¢ each
- 1-100 pages, 5¢ each; 100+ pages, 5¢ each
- 1-300 pages, 3.3¢; 300+ pages, 4¢ each
Ink-Tank Printers Tested by Wirth Consulting (ISO Color Page)
- Brother DCP-T300: 0.065¢ each
- Canon PIXMA G2000: 0.042¢ each
- Epson L220/L365: 0.045¢ each
- HP DeskJet GT 5820: 0.040¢ each
Indeed, the new INKvestment Tank printers hold more ink than cartridge-based printers and an amount that is comparable to ink-tank printers. Although they are touted as a hybrid of the best of the cartridge- and ink-tank printer worlds, unfortunately their high cost of ink and resultant cost of ownership is contrary to that notion.
- June 2018: New Brother Work Smart Inkjets for Home/Small Office Users Start at $79.99
- May 2018: Brother Launches New Translation, Security, Customization Solutions
- January 2018: New Brother Laser Printers, MFPs with Amazon Dash, Brother Refresh Automatic Toner Delivery
- August 2017: Brother Launches ‘Brother Refresh’ Automatic Ink and Toner Replacement Service
- March 2017: New Brother Business-Class Laser Printers, MFPs Feature ‘Enterprise-Level Security,’ Workflow Solutions
- March 2017: New Brother INKvestment All-in-Ones with 11″ x 17″ Media Handling, Black Ink at 1¢ Per Page
- January 2017: PrintFleet to Provide Enhanced Print-Fleet Monitoring Software for Brother Resellers
- October 2016: ‘Printing for Pocket Change’ – New Brother INKvestment Inkjet Printers Promise a Penny-per-Page for Black Prints