Sixth Consecutive Quarter of Growth for Worldwide Printer and Copier/MFP Market
Worldwide shipments of hardcopy peripherals (HCP) increased 1.7 percent to nearly 23.8 million units in the first quarter of 2018 (1Q18), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. This was the sixth consecutive quarter of year-over-year growth for the overall market. Both inkjet and laser unit shipments contributed to the positive momentum, expanding 2.1 percent and 1.0 percent year-over-year, respectively.
Note that in its research, IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC).
Notable highlights from the first quarter include:
- Five out of eight IDC regional markets recorded year-over-year growth in the first quarter with the Middle East and Africa leading the pack with a 19.6 percent increase and 1.6 million units shipped.
- Inkjet delivered year-over-year growth for the sixth consecutive quarter in 1Q18 with a 2.1 percent increase to 14 million units shipped. Strong growth in the business inkjet market (9.7 percent year-over-year) was the key contributor to overall inkjet market growth.
- Both color and monochrome A4 and A3 MFPs continued to grow, recording year-over-year gains of 1.9 percent and 4.0 percent, respectively.
HP Inc. enjoyed 4.2 percent year-over-year growth in global shipments with a particularly strong performance in the United States, China, and India. According to IDC, due to the requirement to print bills, there is still a strong demand for low-end laser printers in India since the implementation of the GST (General Sales Tax). In China, there continues to be strong demand for print devices with the ongoing expansion of the small and mid-size business segment and tier 3 channels.
Canon overtook Epson for the top position in the Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) region in 1Q18 with 9.1 percent year-over-year growth and its highest regional shipment total ever with 1.17 million units in the quarter. Its strong performance was largely due to its new G and TS series devices launched last quarter that are starting to gain traction.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q1 2018 (based on unit shipments)|
|Companies||1Q18 Unit Shipments||1Q18 Market Share||1Q17 Unit Shipments||1Q18 Market Share||1Q18/1Q17 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||9,733,802||40.9%||9,345,545||40.0%||+4.2%|
|2. Canon Group||4,443,154||18.7%||4,206,139||18.0%||+5.6%|
|5. Kyocera Group||546,610||2.3%||524,978||2.2%||+4.1%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, May 2018|
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 2018: Canon Named Worldwide Leader in High-Volume Inkjet Market
- March 2018: Global Managed Print Services Market to Reach $61.36 Billion by 2025
- February 2018: Epson Sees 12.2 Percent Growth in Worldwide Printer Shipments
- November 2017: Slight Uptick for Global Printer and Copier/MFP Market in Third Quarter
- August 2017: IDC: Worldwide Printer and Copier/MFP Shipments Continue to Show Modest Growth in Second Quarter
- June 2017: Global Printer and MFP Shipments See Modest Uptick in First Quarter
- March 2017: IDC: Small Increase in Global Printer and MFP Shipments in Fourth Quarter; Gains for HP, Epson
- December 2016: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Declines Slightly in Third Quarter but Growth for Asia-Pacific