Mopria App Makes Android Scanning Easy
Earlier this month, the Mopria Alliance released the beta version of its free Mopria Scan app, which is available at the Google Play Store. The Mopria Scan app enables users to use their printer or copier/MFP’s scanner to save documents directly to their Android smartphone or tablet. When scanning, users can select options such as scan in black-or-white or color; resolution; document or photo; and more. Other tools include scanning documents into to PNG or PDF, re-printing a scan, selecting the scan area, and more.
The Mopria Scan app supports Brother, Canon, Dell, DEVELOP, Epson, Fuji Xerox, Gestetner, HP Inc., Infotec, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lanier, Lenovo, Lexmark, NEC, NRG, Pantum, RICOH, Samsung, Savin, Sharp, TA Triumph Adler-UTAX, Toshiba, and Xerox devices.
The Mopria Alliance explained that the new app came about as a result of smartphone and printer manufacturers working together. According to Mopria, growing fragmentation in printing software started in Android 4.4 KitKat was effectively eradicated in one move following the release of Android Oreo. The Mopria Scanning app means that users will be able to do even more with their Android smartphones and tablets, with the end goal being the exact same functionality as on a PC when connected to a printer.
The Mopria Scan app should connect to any scan-enabled printer that Android 8.0 Oreo devices can connect to.
Here’s how it works:
The user initiates a scan from the Mopria Scan application, or from other applications such as email, file browsers, etc. (requires additional applications to be installed on the device). The user then:
- Selects scan resolution
- Select color or B/W
- Select scan format: PNG or PDF
- Select input type: photos, documents, etc.
- Discover scanners automatically over Wi-Fi
- Add scanners manually using IP address
- Select scan area
- Edit scan file name
- Save scans on the Android smartphone or tablet
- Share scans to other applications: email, file browsers, etc.
- Share scans to cloud services such as Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, etc.
- Print scans
Download the free beta Mopria Scan app here. Note that the app is still in development.
- February 2018: As Mobile-Printing Pioneer, Mopria Alliance Aims for 1 Billion Mopria-Printed Pages this Year
- November 2017: YSoft SafeQ is First Mopria-Certified Enterprise Print Server
- November 2017: Mopria Print Service 2.3 Provides New Mobile-Printing Capabilities with Share-to-Print
- August 2017: New Mopria Mobile Printing with Android 8.0 OS Features Automatic Printer Discovery, No Downloads
- February 2017: Over 300 Million Users Now Using Mopria Mobile-Printing Solution
- January 2017: Samsung Enabling Mobile Printing for Android Users with New Mopria Certification
- June 2016: New Mopria Print Service 2.0 Provides User Authentication, More, for Android-Printing to Mopria-Certified Printers and MFPs
- February 2014: HP Launches First Mopria-Certified Printer for Mobile Printing with Easy Android Printing
- February 2014: Mopria Mobile-Printing Alliance Says Mopria-Certified Printers on the Way; Adds Many New Members
- September 2013: Canon, HP, Samsung, and Xerox Form Mopria Alliance to Develop Better, Simpler Mobile Printing