New Xerox Iridesse Production Press Produces Unique Iridescent Colors and Specialty Embellishments
Xerox today announced a new Xerox production press that can produce rich metallics and iridescent special effects, the Xerox Iridesse Production Press, which the firm says is the only digital press that can print metallic gold and silver dry ink, CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black), and clear dry ink in a single pass, giving print providers an immediate competitive edge in the growing digital-print enhancement market.
With two inline specialty dry-ink stations, customers can create applications with spot colors, metallic and mixed-metallic gradients, and specialty enhancements. Gold and silver dry metallic inks can be used on their own, or layered under or over CMYK to create unique iridescent palettes. A layer of clear dry ink can be added for an extra touch of dimension or texture.
Xerox FreeFlow Core’s pre-built workflows is said to enable print providers to automatically and selectively transform text and graphics for printing gold and silver without editing the source documents. This simplifies enhancing existing applications with high-value embellishments.
Printing at speeds up to 120 ppm, the press can run stocks from 52 to 400 gsm in weight. Other press features include:
- The Xerox EX-P 6 Print Server by Fiery enables customers to create customized workflows for metallic applications with advanced RIP capabilities and color-management tools.
- Two Dual Advanced High Capacity Feeders, Bypass, and Inserter options let customers run up to eight different stocks in a single job, or do production runs with a total of 12,500 sheets.
A variety of document-finishing options are available, including the new Xerox Crease and Two-sided Trimmer, which creates a durable crease fold and gives booklets a premium quality edge when used with the Xerox Production Ready Booklet Maker Finisher and Xerox Square Fold Trimmer Modules.
- Standard Capabilities: Production color printing.
- Optional Capabilities: Specialty Dry Inks: silver, gold, and clear. Add one or two Specialty Dry Ink stations in addition to the standard four for CMYK, for a total of up to six.
- High-capacity feeding, stacking, and finishing.
- Rated speed: 120 ppm (8.5″ x 11″/A4), 52-400 gsm.
- Recommended average monthly volume: 225,000 to 475,000 impressions.
- Digital Front Ends: Xerox EX-P 6 Print Server Powered by Fiery.
- Media Types: Coated, un-coated, textured, and dark stocks labels, business cards, window decals, durable/synthetic papers, greeting cards, tabs, embossed, polyesters and custom solutions. Mixed-stock jobs are supported with Mixed Media Xceleration (MMX) capability.
New Formulation of High Definition Emulsion Aggregate (HD EA) toner
The Iridesse Production Press also uses a new formulation of Xerox High Definition Emulsion Aggregate (HD EA) toner that achieves the smallest particle size yet (5 microns) for Xerox color toners, to deliver even finer image control for ensuring that tints, gradients, fine text, and lines print as intended.
According to Xerox, this new toner technology enables even transfer of up to six layers of toners while delivering greater image quality for vector graphics, finer lines and text, and smoother gradients without visible stepping. Xerox also says that it achieves this high quality using less toner and no fuser oil, delivering prints that can be written on or coated post printing.
The new formulation is also said to improve the sparkle of metallic prints, with flat metallic flakes embedded into the toner particles, boosting the dry ink’s Flop index, a measure of metallic reflectance.
Three Specialty Dry Inks are available—HD EA Silver and Gold Metallic Dry Ink, and HD EA Clear Dry Ink—delivered from either of two toner stations, one laying down ink before CMYK, the other after.
With this expanded palette, operators can mix HD EA Silver and Gold Dry Inks together or combine them with CMYK tints to create wide-ranging hues of sparkling, metallic tones. Adding HD EA Clear Dry Ink can contribute to vibrant spot colors, metallic gradients, photographic enhancements, high-impact floods and other effects that make visual elements “pop.”
Ultra HD Resolution
Iridesse features Ultra High Definition (HD) Resolution, which combines 2,400 x 2,400 dpi imaging resolution with up to 1,200 x 1,200 x 10-bit rendering resolution to deliver four-times more addressable shades than competitive presses.
Industry-Leading Production Automation
Key calibration, profiling and alignment tasks are all automated via the system’s Full Width Array with Automated Color Quality Suite (ACQS), which uses an in-line scanner with RGB sensors to ensure quick, accurate color reproduction. To further boost productivity, some of these automatic adjustments can be batched together and scheduled with a single click at the start of a shift or before essential jobs using the new EZ Press Check function.
During printing, color quality is maintained by closed-loop process controls that continuously monitor color patches. Any needed quality adjustments are made immediately and automatically.
A number of paper-handling technologies include Mixed Media Xceleration (MMX) technology, which optimizes handling of high-value mixed stock and mixed embellishment jobs. A cooling module and a de-curling unit with a real-time curl-correction option prepare printed sheets for productive in-line finishing.
The Iridesse Production Press will be available for order taking starting on May 9, 2018. Customers should check with their local sales representative for regional availability. For more information and complete specifications, visit Xerox here.
- Press Release: New Fiery DFE for the Xerox Iridesse Production Press Delivers Brilliant, Six-Color Output
- May 2018: Xerox Reports First-Quarter Results
- January 2018: Xerox, EFI, Demo New Fiery Controller for Printing Special Embellishments, Using Silver, Gold, Clear Dry Inks, and More
- November 2017: New Fiery Controller for Xerox iGen 5 with Easier White-Toner Management
- September 2017: Xerox to Sell Fujifilm J Press 720S Production Printer in North America
- August 2017: New White Ink for Xerox iGen5 Press
- February 2017: Xerox Touts Benefits of its Color-Inkjet Production-Printer Portfolio