HP Speaks Out on Canon’s Massive U.S. Patent-Infringement Campaign
Earlier this month, Wirth Consulting reported Canon Inc.’s massive legal filings against 49 U.S. sellers and distributors of unauthorized, third-party clone toner cartridges. In the legal filings, which were filed in various U.S. courts and included a complaint to the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), Canon alleged that the various sellers’ unauthorized toner cartridges infringed upon Canon patents.
The complaint to the ITC asserts that the companies infringe on Canon’s U.S. Patent Nos. 9,746,826; 9,836,021; 9,841,727; 9,841,728; 9,841,729; 9,857,764; 9,857,765; 9,869,960; and 9,874,846. The toner cartridges and imaging drum units are used in HP laser printers.
Today, we received the following statement from Andy Binder, vice president and general manager of Office Supplies Solutions for HP Inc.’s Supplies Business Organization:
“Intellectual property protections foster the research and development that drives innovation. We support the efforts Canon is making to protect and defend their intellectual property found in Original HP Toner cartridges. Our Original HP Toner Cartridges are the result of decades of investment, providing customers with legendary HP LaserJet reliability and consistent quality prints, all supported by our industry-leading recycling program.”
While Canon and HP Inc. have been long-time competitors, they’ve also been long-time partners, with Canon supplying HP with laser-printer engines and consumables for decades. It’s in the interests of both companies to protect HP’s aftermarket consumables revenue.
- March 2018: Canon Launches Massive Legal Offensive Against 49 U.S. Clone Toner-Cartridge Sellers
- February 2018: Canon Wins Injunction against Kostland Toner Cartridges
- February 2018: Canon Files Toner-Cartridge Patent-Infringement Lawsuit Against Kostland
- January 2018: Canon and JT Company Settle Toner-Cartridge Patent Dispute in Germany
- January 2018: Canon Back to Russia to Defend Toner-Cartridge Patent
- December 2017: Canon Granted Preliminary Injunction in Germany for Alleged Toner-Cartridge Patent Infringement
- October 2017: Canon Loses Key ‘Dongle Gear’ Toner-Cartridge Patent-Infringement Lawsuit in Germany
- October 2017: Canon Wins Preliminary Injunction for Patent Infringement against JT Company
- August 2017: Canon Wins Injunction Against Third Toner-Cartridge Maker in Germany
- June 2017: Jury Awards Canon Nearly $4.5 Million for Toner-Bottle Patent Infringement
- June 2017: German Court Grants Canon Injunction in Printer-Supplies Patent-Infringement Dispute