Canon Brings Toner-Cartridge Patent-Infringement Battle to South Korea
Canon Inc. of Tokyo, Japan, today announced that it’s filed a complaint with the Seoul Central District Court of Korea against Tonet Inc., which sells and distributes third-party toner cartridges through its own Web site (see here) and other open-market Web sites, for infringement of Canon’s Korean Patent Nos. 10-1182006 and 10-1101654 (the “Patents”).
Canon stated it “has reasonable grounds” to believe that certain models of toner cartridges sold on the Korean market by Tonet Inc. infringe upon these patents.
Although Canon has filed toner-cartridge patent infringement lawsuits in the United States, Western Europe, Brazil, and Russia, this appears to be the first time that it’s filed a lawsuit against a company in South Korea.
Earlier this month, Canon filed massive legal action against 49 sellers and distributors of third-party toner cartridges in the United States (see here).
With its lawsuit against Tonet, Inc., Canon is seeking to stop these infringements and to collect damages for patent infringement in accordance with Korean law.
- March 2018: Clover Imaging Group Responds to Canon’s Patent-Infringement Lawsuits
- March 2018: Canon Launches Massive Legal Offensive Against 49 U.S. Clone Toner-Cartridge Sellers
- February 2018: Canon Wins Injunction against Kostland Toner Cartridges
- January 2018: Canon and JT Company Settle Toner-Cartridge Patent Dispute in Germany
- January 2018: Canon Back to Russia to Defend Toner-Cartridge Patent
- December 2017: Canon Granted Preliminary Injunction in Germany for Alleged Toner-Cartridge Patent Infringement
- October 2017: Canon Loses Key ‘Dongle Gear’ Toner-Cartridge Patent-Infringement Lawsuit in Germany
- October 2017: Canon Wins Preliminary Injunction for Patent Infringement against JT Company
- August 2017: Canon Wins Injunction Against Third Toner-Cartridge Maker in Germany
- June 2017: German Court Grants Canon Injunction in Printer-Supplies Patent-Infringement Dispute
- June 2017: Canon Resolves Patent-Infringement Litigation with J&H Greentech and Trading
- May 2016: Canon Granted Injunction that Bars Sales of Copycat Toner Cartridges in Brazil
- February 2016: U.K. Ink-Cartridge Remanufacturers Enter into Consent Agreement with Canon