Canon Beefs-Up Security with New Vera Partnership for Document and Data Security
Noting that 1-in-10 security breaches is paper-related, and that 1-in-4 businesses will experience a security breach, Canon U.S.A.’s Canon Solutions America reported today that it’s selected encryption and data-protection technology solutions from new partner Vera to help protect Canon customers’ intellectual property and critical business information, eliminating data leaks and helping organizations protect digital information, including documents scanning with Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE copier/MFPs and imaging solutions
As part of the new partnership, Canon Solutions America’s sales force will offer Vera products and services as a core offering of its Security Solutions and Services portfolio. Canon Solutions America also plans to integrate Vera’s data-security solution across its solutions portfolio to provide its customers with the tools to help protect sensitive files as they flow in an out of customer systems.
Vera’s security technology is designed to encrypt customer data in transit, at rest, and in use. The data-security platform secures any kind of data – from office files, PDFs, image files, and videos – and then tracks, audits, and manages access in real-time, no matter how far it travels, including email, Box, Dropbox, or local file shares. Data is encrypted with AES 256-bit encryption.
Canon Solutions America has chosen Vera to:
- Enable secure content and file sharing: From local storage to cloud-content management, Vera helps ensure only authorized parties can access files. The platform has the ability to secure any file that leaves an organization with additional encryption, file-level usage rights, and document classification, and can maintain that control where the file travels.
- Provide dynamic authentication for critical information: Vera’s policy-driven multi-factor user authentication helps to ensure only authorized recipients can access it. Based on the sensitivity of a document, where it’s been stored, and who has access, Vera can be configured to require additional authentication factors to confirm that users are the right party to access sensitive data.
- Help customers comply with European Union (EU) regulations and protect customer data: Vera is said to help accelerate enterprises’ ability to comply with state, federal, and international regulations, including the EU’s impending General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Vera seeks to provide a 360-degree audit trail and chain of custody that’s necessary for global risk and compliance officers to help control what users can and cannot do with enterprise data .
Vera’s solutions also enable customers to:
- Track where their files have traveled, anywhere in the world
- View detailed file-usage stats and unauthorized access attempts
- Find out who’s viewing information, with real-time alerts
- Generate a full audit trail, for tracking and regulatory compliance
- Change permissions and lock down data
- Enable one-time viewing, custom watermarks, and auto-expiring files
- Control editing, copying, printing, file duplication, and more, online or off
- Permissions stick with your files wherever they travel, including offline and in the cloud
- Revoke access to any file, anywhere
- Instantly revoke access to any document, and take back control even if it’s been copied, forwarded, downloaded or shared online
Canon’s current MFP security provisions include:
- February 2018: New Third-Generation Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE Platform Features Enhanced Security, Cloud Capabilities
- February 2018: New Canon Desktop imageCLASS Models with Fleet Management, Cost Accounting, More
- March 2017: Canon’s New ‘Different Class’ of SMB Printers with Bigger Toner Yields, 3-Year Warranty, Faster Print Speed
- March 2017: Canon Announces New A4 MFPs and Printers, New Solution for Securing and Managing eMail
- April 2017: Canon Says Business-Inkjet and Laser-Printer Expansion in China is ‘Key Priority’