Taiwan’s General Plastic Completes Acquisition of Katun
Private-equity firm Monomoy Capital Partners of Taiwan reported on January 8, 2018 that it’s completed the sale of Katun Corporation to General Plastic Industrial Company of Taiwan for an undisclosed amount.
Katun Corporation is one of the world’s leading providers of OEM-compatible imaging supplies, toner, photoreceptors, and parts for copier/MFPs, printers, and other equipment for the document-imaging industry. The company is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and operates sales and distribution facilities throughout North America, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa.
“Over our ownership period, we helped transform this corporate carve-out into a resilient, disciplined design and distribution business through challenging market dynamics,” commented Jaime McKenzie, a Monomoy director. “We leveraged Monomoy’s operationally-focused strategy to drive free cash flow and stable earnings and successfully positioned Katun for continued growth under the ownership of a strategic buyer. Katun is a premiere provider of aftermarket imaging supplies with a world-class management team, and we wish them all the best.”
Monomoy acquired Katun under its first fund, Monomoy Capital Partners, L.P. Monomoy is currently investing out of its third fund vehicle, Monomoy Capital Partners III, L.P., with $767 million of committed capital to pursue the acquisition of middle-market businesses.
“Monomoy has been an instrumental partner throughout the transformation of Katun,” explained Robert Moore, Katun’s president and CEO. “Monomoy’s dedicated team of investment and operating professionals helped Katun create a strong, profitable business and set a new standard for excellence throughout the company. Monomoy gave us the support and resources necessary to execute a winning global strategy and create substantial value for our shareholders. We are excited about the future of Katun, and we are confident the company is poised for continued success as a global leader in our industry.”
“Katun is a great example of how Monomoy creates value,” commented Justin Hillenbrand, co-chief executive officer of Monomoy. “In partnership with management, we were able to improve the business through the Great Recession by eliminating low margin products, exiting unprofitable geographies, streamlining corporate overhead costs, improving efficiency at Katun’s distribution centers, driving profitable growth and positioning the business for a successful exit.”
- October 2017: Taiwan’s General Plastic Industrial to Acquire Katun
- April 2017: Katun Launches New Line of Remanufactured HP Printers
- December 2016: Katun Launches ‘Marketplace’ for Buying and Selling Used MFP/Copiers and Printers
- November 2016 – Press Release: November’s New Products Include Waste Toner Container and Printer Toners
- October 2016 – Press Release: Katun Corporation Introduces Toners And Drum Units For A Variety Of Imaging Applications
- September 2016 – Press Release: Katun Corporation Introduces Several New Toner Products For Use In Ricoh, Canon And Lexmark Applications
- June 2016 – Press Release: Katun Performance™ Toner for use in Konica Bizhub 654/754 Machines