Canon Again Ranked Third in Number of U.S. Patents Obtained in 2017
Canon Inc. of Tokyo, Japan reported today that it ranked the third-highest for the number of U.S. patents awarded in 2017, becoming the only company in the world to have ranked in the top five for 32 years running, according to the latest ranking of preliminary patent results issued by IFI CLAIMS Patent Services. Canon also once again ranked first for patents among Japanese companies.
The firm states that it “actively promotes the globalization of its business and places great value on obtaining patents overseas, carefully adhering to a patent-filing strategy that pursues patents in essential countries and regions while taking into consideration the business strategies and technology and product trends unique to each location.” Among these countries, it says the United States, with its many high-tech companies and large market scale, represents a particularly important region in terms of business expansion and technology alliances for Canon.
Canon U.S. patent rankings for 2005-2017
|No. of patents|
Note: The number of patents for 2016 and 2017 are based on figures released by IFI CLAIMS Patent Services. Figures for 2005 to 2015 are based on information issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Canon says it “prizes its corporate DNA of placing a high priority on technology.” Regarding research and development results, it says it actively promotes the acquisition of patent rights in accordance with the management direction of the Canon Group and technology trends, while conducting thorough pre-application searches to raise the quality of applications.
Through close cooperation between Canon’s technology and intellectual property divisions, Canon says it aims to improve its technological capabilities while further enhancing its intellectual property rights.
- January 2017: Canon First Among Japanese Companies in U.S. Patents for 12 Years Running
- January 2016: Canon is First Among Japanese Companies, and Third Among U.S. Companies, for Patents Awarded in 2015
- January 2015: Canon Remains #1 Among Japanese Companies for U.S. Patents
- January 2014: Canon Leads Japanese Companies in U.S. Patents Awarded for Ninth Consecutive Year
- January 2013: Canon Inc. of Japan First Among Japanese Companies for Number of U.S. Patents Awarded