HP’s AMP 100 Color Inkjet Printer Plays Music and Takes Your Calls
HP Inc. has introduced some intriguing new printers recently – from the Sprocket 2-in-1 mobile-printer-camera, to an HP DeskJet 2600 All-in-One targeted at seniors – not to mention industrial-strength 3D printers for prototyping and manufacturing. But earlier this year, with little fanfare, it introduced perhaps the most intriguing printer of them all, the AMP 100, a desktop color inkjet printer for home users with built-in Bluetooth 4.1 speakers and “Smart Amp” technology so that you can stream music from any Bluetooth capable device, smartphone app, take calls from your smartphone, and keep your smartphone charged with its built-in USB port.
So far, the AMP 100 appears only to be available at Walmart, where it’s priced at $129.99.
Mobile printing is via wireless connectivity or WiFi Direct Connectivity, and via the Apple AirPrint, and Mopria certification for compatibility with Android smart devices. There’s also HP ePrint for emailing a print job to the printer. The AMP 100 is also compatible with Windows, Apple, and Linux PCs.
With the HP Smart App, users can manage the printer, as well as remotely check ink levels and order ink. With the HP Smart App, users can also scan files using their smartphone’s camera, and then share to email or the cloud.
HP has also engineered the AMP 100 to fit into tight spaces; it measures 5.7″ high x 16″ wide x 7″ deep.
The AMP 100 uses an HP 65 black ink cartridge and HP 65 tri-color cartridge (tri-color cartridge contains cyan, yellow, and magenta inks). XL versions of these ink cartridges are also available and provide higher page yields. Users can also enroll the AMP 100 with HP Instant Ink, a monthly ink-subscription program for automatic ink-cartridge replacement; pricing starts as low as $2.99 per month.
HP 65 Black Ink Cartridge: yields approximately 120 ISO pages.
HP 65 Tri-color Ink Cartridge: yields approximately 100 ISO pages.
HP 65 XL Black Ink Cartridge: yields approximately 300 ISO pages.
HP 65 XL Tri-color Ink Cartridge: yields approximately 300 ISO pages.
Other specifications include:
- Print at up to 5.5 (black)/7.8 (color) ppm; up to 18.5 ppm in draft mode.
- Recommend print monthly volume: 50 to 200 pages.
- 802.11b/g/n wireless interface; Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port (for printer to PC connection); USB charging port (for charging mobile devices only).
- 60-sheet paper-input tray.
- 25-sheet paper-output tray.
- Print on paper up to 8.5″ x 14″, as well as on photo stock starting at 3″ x 5″.
- 1,200 x 1,200 dpi black print resolution; 4,800 x 1,200 dpi color print resolution using HP Premium Plus Photo paper.
- HP PCL 3 print driver.
- Manual duplex printing.
One of our HP contacts gave us the following quote: “It’s a pretty fun device that can pump the music quite loud. I actually said to my colleague “can you please turn that printer down”.
The AMP 100 is available at Walmart here.
Editor’s Note: As of July 2018, HP has discontinued this product.
- October 2017: HP’s New Sprocket “2-in-1” Combines Mobile Printer with Built-In Camera
- August 2017: New HP ENVY Photo All-in-Ones with New Black Ink, Mobile Connectivity, Instant Ink, More
- August 2017: New HP Desktop OfficeJet Pro 7720/7730 with 11″x17″ Printing, Smart App for Mobile Printing and More
- April 2017: New HP DeskJet 2600 Omits ‘Bells and Whistles’ to Appeal to Seniors
- September 2016: New HP Smartphone-Size Instant Photo Printer, the Sprocket