Revenue up for Brother’s First Half, High-Yield Ink-Tank Printer Sales up by 20 Percent
Brother International of Japan reported results for its six-month financial period ending on September 30, 2017, with revenue up 11.6 percent to ¥346 billion ($3.03 billion) versus the same period a year earlier, with profits for the first half totaling ¥23 billion, down 16 percent versus the same period a year earlier.
In the Printing and Solutions group, sales were up 2.0 percent, and sales revenue was up 2.2 percent, both versus the same period a year ago. Operating profit was ¥20.3 billion ($177 million), down 32.9 percent compared to the same period a year earlier.
According to Brother, for its printer group, sales in the small- and home office segment (SOHO) were strong in North America and Western Europe. Sales of both monochrome and color printers surpassed sales recorded for the previous year.
In the small and mid-size business segment, its managed print services (MPS) business for monochrome laser printers expanded mainly in Europe.
In emerging economies, sales volume of monochrome laser products increased significantly not only in Asia, but also in other areas of the world, including Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central and South America.
In its inkjet-printer segment, sales of inkjet printers with high-yield ink tanks “increased strongly” by 20 percent as compared to the previous year.
For its entire fiscal year that will end in March 2018, Brother, assuming more favorable foreign-currency exchange rate effects, increased its projected sales revenue by 2.9 percent to ¥7 billion and increased its projected profits by 2.7 percent to ¥49 billion.
- August 2017: Brother Launches ‘Brother Refresh’ Automatic Ink and Toner Replacement Service
- August 2017: Revenues Up, But Profits Down for Brother’s First Quarter
- May 2017: Brother Reports Encouraging Results for Fiscal Year
- March 2017: New Brother Business-Class Laser Printers, MFPs Feature ‘Enterprise-Level Security,’ Workflow Solutions
- March 2017: New Brother INKvestment All-in-Ones with 11″ x 17″ Media Handling, Black Ink at 1¢ Per Page
- November 2016: Brother Posts Upbeat Financials for First Half, Super-High-Yield Ink Tanks Improve Profitability
- October 2016: ‘Printing for Pocket Change’ – New Brother INKvestment Inkjet Printers Promise a Penny-per-Page for Black Prints
- August 2016: Brother’s Sales Fall, but Profit on the Upswing
- May 2016: New Brother Inkjet All-in-One Features Included Ink Cartridges Good for Printing for up to Two Years
- May 2016: Sales Up, But Profits Down for Brother International’s Fiscal Year; Printer Group Sales Steady
- February 2016: New ‘Business-Focused’ Higher-Volume Laser Printers and All-in-Ones from Brother