Printer Sales Down in Western Europe, But HP Makes Gains
London-based market-research firm Context reports that sales of printers in Western Europe declined in all categories in the third quarter. Third-quarter sales of inkjet-based All-in-Ones/MFPs in Western Europe fell 9 percent year-over-year.
“Third-quarter 2017 sales fell in all categories except for laser MFPs: distributor sales of these devices increased by 2 percent, driven by the color-laser MFPs subcategory,” commented Context Imaging Analyst Zivile Brazdziunaite. “In contrast, unit sales of laser single-function printers continued to contract, and were down by 15 percent, as a result of the ongoing switch from single-function to multifunction (MFP) devices.”
Sales of A4 color laser MFPs rose 6 percent year-over-year. Almost half of all A4 laser printers sold in Western Europe are now MFPs, and the average selling price (ASP) of both black-and-white and color devices continued to fall.
For instance, ASPs for A4 black-and-white laser MFPs was down by 2 percent and currently stands at €176 ($205), while ASPs for A4 color laser MFPs is €296, around 3 percent lower.
Following a decline in previous quarters, sales of A3 color laser MFPs slightly increased in Western Europe in the third quarter, while ASPs in the segment continued to fall, down to €2,188 in the third quarter, a drop of 20 percent.
However, HP Inc. expanded its A3 copier/MFP product portfolio earlier this year and has registered a strong performance in the region.
By country, the biggest declines across the continent were in France and the Netherlands, down 23 and 28 percent respectively, with the United Kingdom flat, Germany down 3 percent , Belgium down 22 percent , and Spain down 10 percent. In contrast, sales were up 23 percent in Ireland and up 25 percent in Lithuania.
- EMEA Printer Hardware Shipments Increase in Q2 2017
- August 2017: IDC: Western Europe Printer and Copier/MFP Market Sees Healthy Growth
- August 2017: Laser-Imaging Hardware Sales Down in Western Europe
- May 2017: IDC: Western Europe Printer/MFP Shipments Down, but Revenues Up
- February 2017: Western Europe Printer Shipments Decline, but Average Selling Price Increases
- November 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer/MFP Market, Inkjet Shipments, Down
- August 2016: Western Europe Printer & MFP Market Slows in Latest Quarter, Reports IDC, but 3.4% Increase in Business-Inkjet Shipments
- May 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer, MFP Shipments Down, but Business Inkjet Rebounds
- February 2016: Slow Quarter for Western Europe Printer/Copier Market, Severe Decline for Standalone Inkjet Printers