HP Launches New Label-Printing Solutions at Labelexpo
Today at Labelexpo 2017, HP Inc. announced a new portfolio of commercial-printing solutions for digital printing and embellishment of labels in any quantity for any application, in a move to transform label and packaging printing from analog to digital, enabling converters to profitably grow their businesses into new markets.
HP also announced the HP Indigo GEM, said to be a breakthrough one-pass digital embellishments solution, that’s now available for pre-ordering at Labelexpo. Integrated with the HP Indigo WS6800 Digital Press, the GEM is said to produce highly decorated labels simply and efficiently.
The new solutions come 15 months after HP’s extensive drupa 2016 technology rollout. The firm says customers are already benefitting from these new capabilities in color accuracy and consistency, higher productivity, and a widened range of applications.
“Our LEP technology unveiled at drupa last year was a leap forward, and fully launched to customers. The innovation now continues, as we expand our capabilities and bring the industry’s most powerful digital label printing solutions that will help converters double their digital business over the next few years,” said Alon Bar-Shany, general manager of HP Indigo. “With these solutions converters can streamline and reinvent the production floor and print any label, no matter the complexity, to successfully help meet new market demands.”
At Labelexpo 2017 in the Hall 5 Patio, from September 25-28, HP is demonstrating all its new capabilities, including the HP Indigo WS6800 Digital Press integrated with the HP Indigo GEM, HP Indigo 20000 Digital Press with HP Indigo Pack Ready Lamination for flexible packaging production enabling immediate time to market, and the HP Indigo 8000 Digital Press, which HP says is the most productive narrow-web press in the industry. In a store-environment experience, HP Specialty Printing Systems (SPS) OEM partners will demonstrate solutions based on the new SI-1300 desktop labeling print engine and other technology.
Inline with the HP Indigo WS6800, the HP Indigo GEM is a fully digital one-pass printing press for embellishing with foil, screen, tactile, varnish and other special effects, using one workflow, one operator, and one design file without the need for tooling. The HP Indigo GEM utilizes GEM Coat and GEM Clear, sold by HP Indigo. Developed with JetFX, shipping of the GEM is expected to begin in the spring of 2018.
Pack Ready for Labels is a new solution supporting the production of high performance, high-resistance labels, including for household and chemical products. It includes an upgraded Inline Priming Unit as an option on the HP Indigo WS6800 Digital Press and supplies including varnish and primer that will be sold by Michelman.
The new Inline Priming Unit also delivers enhanced press utilization, and better serviceability.
New HP Indigo ElectroInk Silver
HP Indigo also announced a new HP Indigo ElectroInk Silver, now in beta customer testing. The new ink formula is said to be capable of generating a wide gamut of metallic colors, combining metallic effects with digital capabilities in one printing process. HP says the new ink is set to expand the application capabilities enabled by HP Indigo’s technology, and open a new field of package design opportunities for converters and brands to stand out on the shelf.
New Tools for Workflow and Automation
The HP Indigo WS6800 together with the HP Indigo GEM will be powered by the new HP Production Pro for Indigo Labels and Packaging. With five-times faster processing, HP Production Pro is said to provide higher productivity, scalability, and simplicity for any job, including handling large volumes of variable data printing.
HP Production Pro enables converters for the first time to scale their business, and centrally manage fleets of HP Indigo label presses, while connecting the press to automation tools including HP PrintOS, MIS systems and the Esko Automation Engine QuickStart for Labels.
Also announced today, HP Indigo and Esko are beginning an enhanced cooperation following a successful 10-year relationship. HP and Esko have incorporated the Esko Color Engine into HP Production Pro and are extending the cooperation to resell the new Esko Automation Engine QuickStart for Labels, an entry-level solution that optimizes printing and allows converters to ramp up prepress productivity in a simple and cost-effective manner.
HP PrintOS new applications and features for labels and packaging released at Labelexpo include:
- PrintOS Jobs, for production monitoring and print-jobs tracking.
- PrintOS Site Flow, for production of high-volume of short runs and personalized labeling.
- PrintOS Box, a file exchange which simplifies print file receipt and content validation.
- PrintOS Service Center, a single point of access to all service tools
HP says that currently, more than 1,500 HP labels and packaging presses are installed worldwide. It says the latest installation of an HP Indigo 8000 Digital Press at Belmark underscores the move by converters toward fully digital production.
HP also announced the sale of the 100th HP Indigo 20000 Digital Press for flexible packaging. The 50th HP Indigo 30000 for folding cartons was recently installed at Cartoffset in France.
Brands around the world are said to enjoying the benefits of HP Indigo customer’s capabilities:
- U.S. converter Toflight produced a Digital Excellence Award winning label for the launch of Eat the Bear’s Cinco de Mayo special flavor. The label was printed on metalized polypropylene substrate with matt and gloss varnish, causing maximum shelf-appeal.
- In a family-focused campaign, Tang printed flexible packages featuring 110 different family photos submitted by customers on a total of 15 million sachets of five different flavors, using Camargo Cia de Embalagens’ HP Indigo 20000.
- Romantics, a brand of fresh juices and vegetables drinks with 140 different and frequently changing designs, each with a different story, picture and creative message, is said to be benefitting from exact run-lengths and value for on-time delivery.
More information about HP digital printing is available at hp.com/go/graphic-arts.
- September 2017: HP Sells 24 PageWide Presses in Landmark Deal
- August 2017: HP to Install Additional HP Indigo Digital Presses for Shutterfly
- September 2016: HP Inc. Rolls Out Four New PageWide Web Presses at Graph Expo
- June 2016: Shutterfly Leasing 25 HP Indigo 12000 Digital Presses
- June 2016: IDC: Large-Format Printer Shipments Up Slightly in 1st-Quarter 2016; HP PageWide, KIP Printers Said to Drive Growth
- May 2016: HP Introduces PageWide C500 Press Industrial Printer at drupa
- March 2016: HP Inc. Adds Host of New PageWide, Indigo Presses to Expand its Commercial-Printer Family
- December 2015: New HP PageWide Web Press T1100S Said to ‘Reinvent’ Package Printing with Box Customization
- September 2015: New HP Inkjet Production Printers Using HP PageWide Inkjet Print-Head Technology
- April 2015: HP Previews New PageWide XL Wide-Format Color Inkjet Production Printers