IDC: Worldwide Printer and Copier/MFP Shipments Continue to Show Modest Growth in Second Quarter
Market-research firm International Data Corporation (IDC) today reported that the worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market grew 0.7 percent year-over-year with more than 23.3 million units shipped in the second quarter of 2017 (2Q17), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Inkjet and laser unit shipments both expanded in the quarter, growing 2.9 percent and 1.7 percent year-over-year, respectively.
Note that in its research, IDC tracks A2-A4 devices for Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals reports. Hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC).
Notable highlights from the quarter include:
- HP Inc. remained the top HCP company with 1.3 percent year-over-year shipment growth. Second-ranked Canon, third-ranked Epson, and fourth-ranked Brother also saw positive year-over-year growth, while fifth-ranked Samsung declined 5.7 percent year-over-year.
- Monochrome laser 21-44 ppm devices recorded year-over-year growth of 19.1 percent in unit shipments. IDC says that the double-digit expansion was helped by strong performances from the top companies, especially HP Inc. and Canon.
- Brother enjoyed the largest year-over unit gain, increasing 4.6 percent to more than 1.7 million units shipped. IDC says that this was largely due to its strong growth within the Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) region where it changed its channel strategy to provide a wider range of products to its office-automation channel partners.
- HP Inc. enjoyed 1.3 percent year-over-year growth in global shipments with a particularly strong performance in Western Europe and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan). HP’s growth was propelled by an online promotion event and the expansion of tier-three channels that had allowed it to capture the growth in demand from the significant increase of new businesses in the SMB segment.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2017 (based on unit shipments)|
|Companies||2Q17 Unit Shipments||2Q17 Market Share||2Q16 Unit Shipments||2Q16 Market Share||2Q17/2Q16 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||8,588,270||36.8%||8,477,117||36.6%||+1.3%|
|2. Canon Group||4,896,055||21.0%||4,771,991||20.6%||+2.6%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 2017|
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 2017: Global Printer and MFP Shipments See Modest Uptick in First Quarter
- March 2017: IDC: Small Increase in Global Printer and MFP Shipments in Fourth Quarter; Gains for HP, Epson
- December 2016: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Declines Slightly in Third Quarter but Growth for Asia-Pacific
- August 2016: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Improves in Second Quarter, Reports IDC
- June 2016: IDC: Slump for Global Printer/MFP Market in 1st Quarter, but MPS Contracts Continue to Grow
- May 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer, MFP Shipments Down, but Business Inkjet Rebounds
- March 2016: IDC: 45-PPM Color-Laser Segment Continues to Show Strong Growth in 4th Quarter
- December 2015: IDC: Worldwide Printer/Copier/MFP Market Declines in Third Quarter, but Business-Inkjet Shipments up 16.3 Percent
- August 2015: IDC: Printer/MFP Market Down in Second Quarter, but Epson Outperforms All Vendors for Second Quarter in a Row