MFPs Driving Printer-Hardware Sales Growth in Western Europe
Unit sales of printer hardware across Western Europe increased by 2 percent year-over-year in first-quarter 2017, driven by positive performance of MFPs according to data published by CONTEXT, a U.K.-based IT market -research firm.
Distributor sales of both inkjet and laser MFPs increased by 6 and 5 percent respectively in the quarter. According to CONTEXT, the shift to MFPs (versus standalone printers) was reinforced as sales of single-function printers (SFPs) continued to fall: sales of laser SFPs were down by 7 percent, while those of inkjet SFPs dropped by 21 percent.
“Distributors in all major WE countries except France saw increased sales of printer hardware”, said Zivile Brazdziunaite, Imaging Market Analyst at CONTEXT. “Spain continued to register strong performance, with sales up by 25 percent year-on-year, driven mainly by sales to SMBs and retailers.”
Germany and Italy both saw increases of 3 percent, driven by sales of laser and inkjet MFPs to the retail channel. Although printer hardware sales in the United Kingdom “remained positive,” there was weaker growth of 1 percent – with increased sales of MFPs to online etailers. The 2-percent drop in France was because of a continuing fall in sales of laser hardware, itself due to a struggling corporate reseller channel.
HP continued to lead the printer hardware market with a share of 47 percent in Western Europe, followed by Epson and Canon with shares of 18 and 15 percent, respectively.
Hardware growth rate by country in first-quarter 2017:
Austria: -7.9 percent
Belgium: -14.4 percent
Denmark: 4.1 percent
Finland: -5.7 percent
France: -1.6 percent
Germany: 2.7 percent
Italy: 3.1 percent
Netherlands: 3.5 percent
Portugal: 20.6 percent
Spain: 25.3 percent
Netherlands: 3.5 percent
Switzerland: -12.4 percent
Sweden: -21.5 percent
United Kingdom: 0.6 percent
- February 2017: Western Europe Printer Shipments Decline, but Average Selling Price Increases
- November 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer/MFP Market, Inkjet Shipments, Down
- August 2016: Western Europe Printer & MFP Market Slows in Latest Quarter, Reports IDC, but 3.4% Increase in Business-Inkjet Shipments
- May 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer, MFP Shipments Down, but Business Inkjet Rebounds
- February 2016: Slow Quarter for Western Europe Printer/Copier Market, Severe Decline for Standalone Inkjet Printers
- November 2015: Color-Laser MFP Sales up 12 Percent in Western Europe in Early Third-Quarter
- August 2015: IDC: Printer/Copier-MFP Shipments Decline in Western Europe, but Revenue Up
- February 2015: IDC: Western Europe Printer, MFP Shipments Show Slight Decline, Business Inkjets Make Gains