Wohlers Report Shows ‘Vibrant New Business Activity in 3D Printing,’ but Softened Growth Worldwide
Wohlers Associates, an independent consulting firm, reports that in 2016, 97 manufacturers produced and sold industrial additive (3D printing) manufacturing system, up from 62 companies in 2015, and 49 in 2014. The firm says that this wave of development and commercialization is putting pressure on the established producers of AM systems.
The new research is available in the just-published Wohlers Report 2017, which marks the 22nd consecutive year of report.
The AM industry grew by 17.4 percent in worldwide revenues in 2016, down from 25.9 percent the year before, according to the new report. Much of the downturn came from declines by the two largest system manufacturers in the business. Together, they represent $1.31 billion (21.7 percent) of the $6.063 billion AM industry, according to Wohlers Report 2017. If these two companies were excluded from the analysis, the industry would have grown by 24.9 percent.
For Wohlers Report 2017, the firm collected input from 100 service providers, 61 industrial system manufacturers, and 19 producers of third-party materials and low-cost desktop 3D printers.
Separately, 76 experts and organizations in 31 countries contributed information and insight to the new publication.
Wohlers Report 2017 is said to provide an in-depth review and analysis of growth, competitive products and services, and the future outlook for the industry. It covers the technology’s history, applications, materials, processes, and equipment manufacturers. The report documents R&D, investment, and activities in government, academia, and industry.
The 344-page Wohlers Report 2017 includes 28 charts and graphs, 26 tables, and 232 photographs and illustrations. It also includes more than 160 pages of supplemental online information that is available to buyers of the report.
Wohlers Associates is an independent consulting firm that provides technical, market, and strategic advice on the new developments and trends in additive manufacturing, 3D printing, and rapid product development. For more information, visit the firm here.
- February 2017: IDC: 3D Printing Will Hit ‘Mainstream’ in Asia-Pacific Region Next Year
- January 2017: Global 3D-Printer Market Expected to Total $13.2 Billion for 2016
- January 2017: Desktop 3D-Printer Market up 27 Percent, but Industrial/Professional Growth Lags
- November 2016: HP Now Taking Orders for its First 3D Printer, First Public Demo at formnext
- October 2016: Gartner: Worldwide Shipments of 3D Printers to Grow 108 Percent in 2016
- September 2016: G.E. Acquires Two 3D-Printer Companies for $1.4 Billion
- August 2016: IDC: 3D-Printing Market Global Revenues to Reach $35.4 Billion in 2020
- June 2016: IDC: U.S. 3D-Printer Shipments Up Nearly 20 Percent in 2015