This Week in Imaging: Latest Financials from Copier Companies; Xerox Targeting Multi-Brand Dealers; More
The latest financial reports from major copier/printer vendors in Japan are as typical, full of good news and bad. The bad consists of several continuing to report lower revenues and profits. But on the flip side, the good news is that, when adjusted for the appreciation of the Japanese yen, revenues rose modestly. Other gleanings include: color copier/MFP continue a trend of surpassing monochrome copier/MFP revenues, high-capacity ink-tank inkjets are doing well for Epson, and, for Xerox, while installations of mid-range and A4 systems has been sluggish, installations of high-end copier/MFPs have been up, with installations up 3 percent in fourth-quarter 2016 for high-end systems, and up 16 percent year-over year.
HP Inc. introduced a new, free mobile-printing app this week, “Happy2Print,” for SOHO users in Europe. Ho-hum you say? The oddity is that the app also supports printers from Brother, Canon, Epson and others.
In a departure from the age-old strategy of stealing clicks from a static pool, the app supports HP as well as non-HP printers. Granted, it seems that the app intends to entice users to print on HP Everday Papers, but we can’t help to ask ourselves “what was HP thinking?”
Although we’re big fans of Consumer Reports, we’re a bit skeptical about its recent survey of users of home and small-office printers and All-in-Ones. Be sure to check out the full post and “Our Take.”
- Tough Year for Canon with Revenue Declines in Many Segments – Read more here.
- Revenues Slide for Xerox’s Fourth Quarter, Full Year – Read more here.
- Citing Effects of Stronger Yen, Konica Minolta Reports Lower Revenues and Earnings – Read more here.
- Revenues, Profits, Decline for Epson, but High-Capacity Ink-Tank Printers’ Revenues Expand – Read more here.
- OKI Reports Loss for Nine-Month Period, Cites Yen, Decline in Demand for Office Printing- Read more here.
- Xerox to Spend $100 Million Acquiring Independent Copier Dealers, Converting them to the Xerox-Only Brand – Read more here.
- Researchers Say Popular Printers Subject to Hacking, Captured Print Jobs, Physical Printer Damage – Read more here.
- ‘Consumer Reports’ Releases Survey on Home and Small-Office Inkjet and Laser Printers – Read more here.
- HP Launches ‘Happy2Print’ Mobile-Printing App for Users in Europe – Read more here.
- HP Inc. Issues Statement on U.S. Immigration Ban – Read more here.
- PrinterLogic Signs North American Distribution Agreement with Tech Data – Read more here.
Commercial- and Production-Printing News
- Xerox Sells FreeFlow Print Server Business to EFI – Read more here.
- Authorities Seize 19,100 Counterfeit Printer Toner Cartridges in Saudi Arabia
Become a Sponsor and Get the Word Out
Want to get the word out about your product or solution? This Web site receives over 13,000 hits per day from readers throughout the world – with nearly 4.0 million hits in the last year. Contact Kathy Wirth to learn about our affordable advertising rates and how you can reach our readers through either this newsletter or at our Web site, wirthconsulting.org.
Visit alexa.com for verification.
The Third Dimension