HP Inc. Marks 1st Anniversary: Looks Back on its 3D Printers, Samsung Acquisition, Copier-Market Disruption
One year ago today, HP Inc. was created as a result of the largest separation in corporate history – separating into two companies, one of which, HP Inc, is dedicated to printing and PC products, and the other of which, HP Enterprise, which is dedicated to servers, storage, networking, consulting, and support for large, enterprise customers. HP Inc. says it began its journey as a separate company with “aggressive moves in printing, 3D Printing, and Personal Systems (PC products).”
While focused on innovating in its core business, HP says it’s continued to “aggressively expand into new growth categories and future product segments and markets.”
Highlights of HP Inc.’s first year include:
Disrupting the $12 Trillion Manufacturing Industry with Commercial 3D Printing
HP introduced its Jet Fusion 3D Printing Solution, the world’s first production-ready 3D printing system. HP’s strategic 3D-printing partners include BMW, Nike, Autodesk, Johnson & Johnson and others, all of which HP says are engaged in putting HP’s 3D printing-technology to work for prototyping and parts-production for automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer goods, and other applications.
The firm says that, building on its leadership in 2D-printing, the new 3D printer systems, along with HP’s new open-innovation platform, “will revolutionize manufacturing by enabling highly customized products to be made closer to where the customers live.”
Disrupting the A3 Copier Market with “Superior Ink and Laser MFPs”
As the global leader in A4 printing, in September 2016, HP introduced 16 new printing solutions for the $55 billion A3 copier/MFP market, which it says “has long been dominated by complicated, complex, and outdated copier technology.”
To “accelerate disruption,” HP announced a deal to acquire Samsung’s printer business for $1.05 billion, which is expected to close in the second half of 2017. By combining Samsung’s A3 laser technologies with HP’s next-generation ink-jet printing technologies, HP says it “now offers customers breakthrough performance and economics, including greater reliability and the lowest cost-per-color-page in the industry. “
“Dazzling” PC and Printer Products
Beginning with the “Best of Show” at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, HP says it introduced “a steady procession of award-winning products in both Printing and Personal Systems.” Examples include the Elite x3 that converts into both a laptop and desktop PC; the Spectre 13, the world’s thinnest notebook computer; the HP Pavilion Wave and the HP Elite Slice, which prove that “desktop computers can be small, sleek, and modular, and no longer have to be hidden under a desk;” and Sprocket, a pocket-sized printer that instantly prints sticky-backed photos from a smartphone.
Delivering a “Premium Lineup of Products that Aim to “Beat Apple at its Own Game'”
HP introduced its Premium family of PC products that combine computing power with “best-in class” audiovisual technology for “media experiences that amaze.”
In time for the holidays, HP recently revamped its flagship premium consumer x360 convertible, featuring a near-zero border display in a design that is 13-percent thinner and 11-percent lighter.
HP also launched next-gen HP ENVY laptop and the redesigned HP ENVY AIO 27.
Next-Generation Gaming and Blended Reality
HP says it “supercharged” its premium gaming lineup with a reinvented OMEN brand, and “brought the future into education” with its Sprout and Sprout 3D desktop creation stations. The firm says its technologies aim for “total immersion,” whether it’s being able to carry a Virtual Reality gaming rig anywhere, experimenting with converting 3D objects into 2D objects, and back again, and more.
- October 2016: HP Updates on Printing Group: Instant Ink up 20 Percent, PageWide Portfolio Gains Market Share, More
- October 2016: HP Inc. to Cut 3,000 to 4,000 Jobs in the Next Three Years; Provides Fiscal Year Outlook
- September 2016: HP Inc. Rolls Out Four New PageWide Web Presses at Graph Expo
- September 2016: IDC: HP’s Acquisition of Samsung’s Printing Group Will Break Hold of Fuji Xerox, Canon, and Ricoh in China
- September 2016: HP Simplifies Partner First Program for Reseller Channel, Expands Marketing Resources
- September 2016: HP Set to Purchase Samsung’s Printer Group for $1.05 Billion As it Prepares for Assault on Copier Market
- August 2016: Revenue Down Slightly for HP Inc.’s Third Quarter, but Net Earnings up 20 Percent
- July 2016: HP Blog: HP and Jabil, a 3D-Printing Partnership to Revolutionize 3D Printing
- July 2016: HP Acquiring David Company’s 3D-Scanning Solutions
- June 2016: HP: What Sets Our 3D Printers Apart from Competitors – Speed, Strength, and More
- June 2016: HP Launches Device as a Service Program, Lifecycle Services, for Printers, PCs