New HP Smartphone-Size Instant Photo Printer, the Sprocket
While HP Inc. has been in the news for its decision to enter the A3 copier/MFP market and its pending purchase of Samsung Electronics’ Printing business, on the tiny mobile-printer front, it recently introduced the Sprocket, a portable printer about the size of a cell phone that lets users instantly print photos from their cameras and social-media accounts.
With an MSRP of $129.99, the Sprocket connects to your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth 3.0 or Passive NFC and is charged via a micro USB port (cable included). It doesn’t use inkjet printing, but instead uses ZINK Zero Ink technology, and requires ZINK photo paper (10 sheets are included, and a 20-sheet replacement pack costs $9.99) for printing border-less 2″ x 3″ (5 x 7.6 cm) color photos. The special ZINK paper contains embedded crystals that, when heated up by the printer, creates color images. When connected to your smartphone or tablet via the HP Sprocket app, it can print photos from your smartphone’s camera roll, as well as photos from your accounts at Facebook, Instagram, and Flickr. The free HP Sprocket App lets users add and customize fonts, borders, and text boxes to photos.
A 20-pack of HP W4Z13A ZINK 2″x3″ Sticky-Back Photo Paper costs $9.99. This results in a cost per print of 50¢. Two 10-packs of HP ZINK photo paper are included with the printer.
Other specifications include:
- Bluetooth 3.0 and Passive NFC connectivity
- Compatible with Android 4.4 and higher, and Apple iOS 8.0 and higher.
- Measures 4.53″ wide x 2.95″ deep x 0.87″ high, and weighs 0.37 lbs.
- Includes USB cable and a one-year warranty.
For more information, and to purchase the Sprocket, visit HP here.
- HP Sprocket App for Apple iOS
- HP Sprocket App for Android
- September 2016: New HP Officejet 200, Officejet 250 Mobile Printer, All-in-One for Business Professionals on the Road