New Epson FastFoto FF-640 for Scanning and Restoring Photos
Last week, Epson America rolled out its FastFoto FF-640 (MSRP $649.99) photo-scanning system that it positions as an alternative to flatbed scanners and third-party scan services for scanning and restoring old photos. FastFoto can scan photos as fast as one photo per second, and with it, users can restore faded photos to their original color.
Featuring a 30-photo automatic feeder, FastFoto scans photos to a designated hard drive, and also provides tools for uploading scanned photos to Web sites such as Facebook, Dropbox, and Google Drive for sharing and storage. FastFoto scans both the front and back of photos and postcards in a single pass, capturing dates and personal handwritten notes on the back of photos. Epson’s scanning software also features a unique naming system for organizing photo collections with recognizable file and folder names, searchable metadata, and a capture date that aligns with the date of the photo, not the date the image was scanned.
FastFoto Photo-Restoration and Editing Capabilities
With one click, Smart Photo Fix (SPF) Technology automatically helps restore old photos with color restoration for faded photos, red-eye reduction, and automatic image-enhancement features. There’s also Dynamic Skew Correction (DSC) for aligning images, and a multi-roller paper feed designed to automatically correct the angle at which a photo or document enters the scanner. FastFoto also includes a special handling sheet to protect small, old, damaged, or fragile photos, while the Ultrasonic Sensor provides Double Feed Detection to help avoid missing any photos or mis-feeds, and Auto Size Detection enables scanning multiple sizes in a single stack.
FastFoto may also be used for scanning artwork, bills, and invoices, and other home or business documents. Scanning as fast as 45 ppm/90 ipm. FastFoto 640 Photo Scanner will scan documents to email, an online storage account, or any folder on the user’s PC. It includes a TWAIN scan driver, is compatible with Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS, and includes OCR (optical character recognition) software for creating searchable PDFs or scanning documents into editable file formats such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Other features include:
- Scan images from wallet-size to panoramic photos at up to 600 dpi resolution.
- Custom FastFoto Software that Epson says brings “new life to old photos automatically” with Smart Photo Fix (SPF) Technology, red-eye reduction, and color-enhancement features.
- Single-Step Technology – Single-scan captures image and handwritten notes on the back of photos.
- Special handling sheet, custom rollers and paper path to accommodate fragile photos.
- Epson’s proprietary image-processing technology optimizes image quality across printers, projectors and scanners
FastFot is bundled with Document Capture Pro software to create searchable PDFs for and ABBYY FineReader software to convert scans into editable files
The Epson FastFoto FF-640 is available through select major retailer stores nationwide and online at www.epson.com. For more information and complete specifications, visit Epson here.
- September 2016: Two New Workgroup Document Scanners from Epson Start at $299.99
- March 2015: Epson WorkForce Document Scanners Certified for Use with PSIGEN Software
- March 2015: New Epson Perfection V39 Personal Document Scanner with ArcSoft for Scanning Over-Size Documents
- February 2015: New $69.99 Desktop Document Scanner, Perfection V19, from Epson
- January 2015: Epson Office Scanners Certified for Use with eFileCabinet Document-Management Software