IDC: Global Production-Printer Market Maintains Strong Growth, Shipments up 10.0 Percent in Second-Quarter 2016
The worldwide production-printer market maintained its growth streak in the second quarter of 2016 (2Q16), recording a 10.0-percent increase in shipments year-over-year. Unit-shipment value also increased 3.4 percent to more than $1.1 billion in the same time period, according to the market-research firm International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker.
Note that in its research, IDC tracks Mid-, Production (full Production) and Label & Packaging devices in its Quarterly Production Printer Tracker. Production-printer systems include single-function printers and multifunctional systems (MFPs).
Other highlights from the worldwide production printer market in 2Q16 include:
- High-speed inkjet production devices saw 66 percent growth in system shipments on an annual basis. Canon found good demand for its sheet-fed solution, the Océ VarioPrint i300, while Ricoh ramped up sales for its new Pro VC60000 platform with high image quality.
- A combined view of mid-production and full-production segments “showed a positive story for color laser” in the quarter as well. Inkjet might be taking some of the “big iron” laser share, but laser vendors are broadening their portfolios downstream.
- Konica Minolta Group outperformed all other vendors in the Top 5 by posting 30.4 percent year-over-year growth in units shipped.
“Successful IT suppliers can offer both inkjet and laser technologies at a variety of price points to the end-user, protecting the base while expanding into new markets,” commented Amy Machado, research manager of IDC’s Imaging, Printing, and Document Solutions group.
|Worldwide Production Market Share, Q2 2016 (based on unit shipments*)|
|Vendors||2Q16 Unit Shipments||2Q16 Market Share||2Q15 Unit Shipments||2Q15 Market Share||2Q16/2Q15 Growth|
|1. Xerox Group1||5,179||50.7%||4,586||49.4%||+12.9%|
|2. Ricoh Group2||2,203||21.6%||2,235||24.1%||-1.4%|
|3. Konica Minolta Group3||1,682||16.5%||1,290||13.9%||+30.4%|
|4. Canon Group4||679||6.7%||665||7.2%||+2.1%|
|5. HP Inc.||231||2.3%||241||2.6%||-4.1%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker, August 2016|
- Includes Mid Production, Production (full production), and Label & Packaging.
1 Xerox Group consists of Xerox and Fuji Xerox.
2 Rioch Group consists of Gestetner (NRG), Lanier, Nashua, Nashuatec, Rex Rotary, Ricoh, and Ricoh Industry.
3 Konica Minolta Group consists of Develop, ITEC, Konica Minolta, and Sindoh.
4 Canon Group consists of Canon and Showa Jyoho.
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
- June 2016: ‘Solid Growth’ for Global Production-Printer Market, Reports IDC
- March 2016: IDC: Global Production-Printer Market up 5.2 Percent in Fourth-Quarter 2015
- December 2015: Global Production-Printer Shipments Near Double-Digit Growth in Third-Quarter 2015, Reports IDC
- August 2015: IDC: Worldwide Shipments for Production Printers up 9.4 Percent in Second Quarter
- May 2015: IDC: Positive Gains for Worldwide Production-Printer Market; Xerox is Leader
- March 2015: IDC: Canon is Market Leader in U.S. Cut-Sheet Production-Print Market
- July 2014: IDC: Global Digital Color Production-Print Market to Reach Nearly $25 Billion from 2014-2018
- June 2014: IDC: Global Production-Printing Market Achieves Double-Digit Growth in First-Quarter 2014