Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Improves in Second Quarter, Reports IDC
The rate of decline in the worldwide hardcopy peripherals market slowed in the second quarter of 2016 (2Q16) with shipments contracting 3.8 percent year-over-year to 23.1 million units, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. According to the market-research firm, the improvement in the global market was largely driven by strong demand in the color laser (21 ppm and faster) and mono laser (21-30 ppm) segments, with 18.0 percent and 8.9 percent year-over-year growth, respectively.
Note that IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in its Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC).
Other notable highlights for the second quarter include:
- The Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) region saw 6.6 percent year-over-year growth in shipments to approximately 8 million units, bolstered by strong performances in China, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam.
- Epson’s double-digit year-over-year growth of 10.4 percent was fueled by increases in six out of eight regional markets. The vendor grew shipments 13.3 percent year-over-year in the business inkjet segment of the Western European market.
- Canon also grew 1.4 percent year-over-year in the worldwide market with shipments approaching 4.8 million in 2Q16. The vendor’s best results came in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) with 19.4 percent year-over-year growth, which was driven by increased traction for its ink-tank series (PIXMA G models).
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2016|
|Vendors||2Q16 Unit Shipments||2Q16 Market Share||2Q15 Unit Shipments||2Q15 Market Share||2Q16/2Q15 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||8,477,117||36.6%||9,818,111||40.8%||-13.7%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 2016|
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
- August 2016: IDC: 3D-Printing Market Global Revenues to Reach $35.4 Billion in 2020
- August 2016: Western Europe Printer & MFP Market Slows in Latest Quarter, Reports IDC, but 3.4% Increase in Business-Inkjet Shipments
- July 2016: IDC: India Printer-MFP Market Down 2.2 Percent in First-Quarter 2016; HP Remains Leader
- June 2016: IDC: U.S. 3D-Printer Shipments Up Nearly 20 Percent in 2015
- June 2016: ‘Solid Growth’ for Global Production-Printer Market, Reports IDC
- June 2016: IDC: Large-Format Printer Shipments Up Slightly in 1st-Quarter 2016; HP PageWide, KIP Printers Said to Drive Growth
- June 2016: IDC: Slump for Global Printer/MFP Market in 1st Quarter, but MPS Contracts Continue to Grow
- May 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer, MFP Shipments Down, but Business Inkjet Rebounds
- April 2016: IDC: Sharp Drop in India’s Printer/Copier Market; High-Capacity Ink-Tank Printers Expected to Make Gains
- March 2016: IDC: Global Production-Printer Market up 5.2 Percent in Fourth-Quarter 2015