HP Acquiring David Company’s 3D-Scanning Solutions
HP Inc. reported on June 30th that it’s acquiring the 3D-imaging hardware and software assets of David Vision Systems GmbH and David 3D Solutions, both based in Germany, for undisclosed sums.
HP says that David is an “outstanding technology leader in 3D scanning” and an “essential enabler” for HP’s Sprout 3D, an all-in-one PC and 3D-scanning solution. HP says the acquisition will enable it to continue to evolve Sprout 3D and advance its market opportunities in both immersive computing and the $7 billion 3D-scanning market.
According to HP Louis Kim, global head and general manager for HP’s Immersive Computing group, “Adding the David companies’ technology and capability strengthens our ability to create the world’s only end-to-end 3D ecosystem, from creation, to 3D on-ramp, to 3D print off-ramp via HP’s Jet Fusion (3D printer) solution. The acquisition adds a robust, stable and production-ready solution, along with a rich software development platform to HP’s portfolio of technologies.”
HP will acquire David’s scanning, stitching, and fusing solution that it says results in “radical improvements in scan quality.” David provides 3D-scanning technology and solutions with scan algorithms and automated calibration methods. According to HP, this is an essential ingredient to seamlessly blend the physical and virtual worlds, and a core value proposition of Sprout, through which HP says it will reach a broad range of industry segments, including education, healthcare, design, and research.
Among other benefits, the firm says the acquisition will help HP accelerate the availability of desktop and other “best-in-class” scanning products to a wide range of customers. Specifically, the acquisition will allow HP to grow its Sprout 3D Capture and Immersive Computing portfolio and pave the way for David’s 3D-scanning solutions to serve as an onramp component for 3D printing.
As part of the deal, HP will also acquire the David staff.
- June 2016: HP: What Sets Our 3D Printers Apart from Competitors – Speed, Strength, and More
- May 2016: It’s Here: HP Delivers Two Jet Fusion 3D Printers Designed to Reinvent Prototyping and Manufacturing
- May 2016: HP Inc. Blog: How HP’s 3D Printing Will Re-Shape the Future, from Manufacturing, to Entire Economies
- May 2016: HP Inc. to Seek Disruptive 3D, IoT Technologies with New HP Tech Ventures Group
- March 2016: HP’s Dion Weisler Shares Thoughts on HP’s 3D-Printing Strategy; 3D Printers to Ship Later this Year
- November 2015: HP Inc. Opens New R&D Center Devoted to 3D Printing in Spain
- November 2015: Newly Created HP Inc. to Focus on Immersive Computing, 3D Printing, Graphic-Arts Printing, Copier/MFPs
- September 2015: HP Inc. to Focus on ‘Ink in the Office,’ A3 MFP/Copier Market, 3D Printing, Graphics, MPS
- September 2015: HP Creating New 3D-Printing Group to Be Led by Steven Nigro
- July 2015: New HP Sprout 3D Scanner with Dremel 3D Printer Bundle is End-to-End 3D Design System
- July 2015: HP Ventures Investing in Shapeways, a 3D-Printing Service Provider
- January 2015: HP: Intel’s I7 Chip to Power HP’s Multi Jet Fusion 3D Printer
- October 2014: HP Delivers its First 3D Printer, Said to be Faster and Offering More Object Strength and Detail