‘Solid Growth’ for Global Production-Printer Market, Reports IDC
The worldwide production-printer market continued to deliver solid growth in the first quarter of 2016 (1Q16) with a 7.9 percent year-over-year increase, marking the sixteenth consecutive quarter of positive growth, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker. According to IDC, worldwide unit shipment value increased 1.4 percent to nearly $1.2 billion in the same time period.
Note that in it research, IDC tracks Mid Production, Production (full Production), and Label & Packaging systems in its Quarterly Production Printer Tracker. The Production Print Tracker includes single-function printers and multifunctional systems (MFPs).
Other highlights from the worldwide production-printer market in 1Q16 include:
- Label & Packaging unit shipments increased 18.8 percent year-over-year while Mid Production gained 11.5 percent in 1Q16.
- Ricoh Group outperformed all other vendors among the top five vendors by posting a 28.8 percent year-over-year gain in terms of units shipped.
“Headed into Drupa 2016, the digital production-print market looks strong. Print-service providers (PSPs) continued to invest in the first quarter with no holding off purchases or waiting to see what new products are coming at the world’s largest print show in Dusseldorf this month. That could foretell very good things for both the second quarter and the second half of the year, as PSPs jump on new technologies, especially when it comes to high-quality color laser and inkjet,” commented Amy Machado, research manager, for IDC’s Imaging, Printing, and Document Solutions group.
|Worldwide Production Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Q1 2016*|
|Vendors||1Q16 Unit Shipments||1Q16 Market Share||1Q15 Unit Shipments||1Q15 Market Share||1Q16/1Q15 Growth|
|1. Xerox Group1||5,127||46.7%||4,906||48.2%||+4.5%|
|2. Ricoh Group2||2,627||23.9%||2,040||20.0%||+28.8%|
|3. Konica Minolta Group3||2,165||19.7%||2,006||19.7%||+7.9%|
|4. Canon Group4||570||5.2%||705||6.9%||-19.1%|
|5. HP Inc||182||1.7%||193||1.9%||-5.7%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker, May 2016|
* Includes Mid Production, Production (full production) and Label & Packaging.
- Xerox Group includes Xerox and Fuji Xerox.
- Rioch Group includes Gestetner (NRG), Lanier, Nashua, Nashuatec, Rex Rotary, Ricoh, and Ricoh Industry.
- Konica Minolta Group includes Develop, ITEC, Konica Minolta, and Sindoh.
- Canon Group includes Canon and Showa Jyoho.
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at email@example.com.
- March 2016: IDC: Global Production-Printer Market up 5.2 Percent in Fourth-Quarter 2015
- December 2015: Global Production-Printer Shipments Near Double-Digit Growth in Third-Quarter 2015, Reports IDC
- August 2015: IDC: Worldwide Shipments for Production Printers up 9.4 Percent in Second Quarter
- May 2015: IDC: Positive Gains for Worldwide Production-Printer Market; Xerox is Leader
- March 2015: IDC: Canon is Market Leader in U.S. Cut-Sheet Production-Print Market
- July 2014: IDC: Global Digital Color Production-Print Market to Reach Nearly $25 Billion from 2014-2018
- June 2014: IDC: Global Production-Printing Market Achieves Double-Digit Growth in First-Quarter 2014