HP’s New DeskJet 3700 Said to be World’s Smallest All-in-One
This week we reported on a new HP “big-iron” inkjet-printing system, the gigantic PageWide C500 press that HP Inc. is showing at the drupa tradeshow in Germany, but this week, HP is also introducing another inkjet at the far other end of the spectrum – the DeskJet 3700, which it says is the world’s smallest under-$250 All-in-One ever made.
According to HP, the DeskJet 3755 All-in-One, which is designed for home office and consumer use, is half the size of other All-in-Ones, so that it can fit out-of-the-way in tight spaces such as shelves and on counters, and can be easily picked up and moved, with its small size and wireless connectivity. It will be available later this month for $69.99,
Print speed is rated at up to 8 (black)/5.5 ppm (color), and there’s copy and scan along with print, as well as a USB 2.0 port for connecting directly to PCs.
The DeskJet 3755 can also be enrolled in HP’s Instant Ink program, under which HP remotely monitors the printer’s ink levels, and sends ink cartridges when needed, and which HP says can save users up to 50 percent on ink costs. Optional HP high-yield ink cartridges are also said to provide up to 2.5-times more black pages and up to 3-times more color pages as HP standard ink cartridges.
The DeskJet 3700 provides mobile printing via the HP All-in-One Printer Remote app for Android and Apple iOS. It also features Wi-Fi Direct connectivity, so that smartphone and tablet users can connect to PCs without having to connect to a home network. Mobile connectivity includes:
- Support for Apple AirPrint mobile printing.
- Support for Wi-Fi Direct for mobile printing without connecting to a network router.
- HP’s ePrint app (print by emailing the file to the printer’s unique email address).
- HP AiO Printer Remote app.
- Scan to email via the HP AiO app.
According to HP users can also print, share, and design custom photos downloaded from Facebook, Instagram, and Flickr, or directly from digital cameras with the free HP Social Media Snapshots application for Android and Apple iOS.
A new feature is Scroll Scan, which enables users to scan a variety of paper types, including drivers’ licenses and receipts.
HP is also offering 4″ x 5″ sticky photo paper designed just for the Social Media Snapshots app. Using HP Printbot, Facebook Messenger users can print content from a Facebook Messenger conversation. Printbot also allows users to add printers, print from the printer’s history, and order ink cartridges.
The DeskJet 3700 will be available in a number of different colors, such as Electric Blue to Sea Grass Green and Stone. For more information and complete specifications, visit HP here.
While many of you may consider the new HP DeskJet 3700 – billed to be the world’s smallest All-in-One – just ho-hum, it’s actually a very good thing for consumers and home-office users. Why? HP’s new least-expensive All-in-One is HP Instant Ink compatible. This means that the 27.15¢ ISO cost per page of its predecessor (using XL ink cartridges no less) can drop to as little as 5.98¢ to 3.33¢ per page with enrollment in the Instant Ink program, regardless of page coverage (ISO yields are based on 20-percent page coverage). This comes at a time when many home and home-office users have severely curtailed their printing (complaining about high ink prices), consumer printing has flatlined, and inkjet is under assault from pricey CISS ink-tank printers (with many starting at $200). However, printers such as the DeskJet 3700 with affordable ink pricing via Instant Ink and a low price acquisition price could go a long way in getting many consumers back to printing.
- April 2016: New HP Spectre 13 is the World’s Thinnest Laptop PC
- March 2016: New HP 75-PPM PageWide Inkjets; New Officejets, LaserJets; A3 PageWide Copier/MFPs on the Way
- February 2016: HP Jumps on Ink-Tank Bandwagon with Refillable All-in-Ones
- November 2015: Our Continuing Adventures with HP’s ‘Instant Ink’ Program
- October 2015: Our Testing Reveals that HP Printer Inks Do Not ‘Dry Out’
- September 2015: HP Secures the Enterprise with Three New Printers/MFPs Featuring White-listing, ‘Self-Healing’ from Malicious Attacks
- September 2015: New HP LaserJet 400 Series Printers and MFPs with JetIntellligence for 33-Percent More Prints
- September 2015: HP Announces New Instant Ink-Eligible Inkjets; New Officejets with One- and Two-Year Instant Ink Subscriptions
- August 2015: The HP Instant Ink Saga – Our First Billing Statement
- July 2015: Hands-On Review: HP Instant Ink Program