Canon Granted Injunction that Bars Sales of Copycat Toner Cartridges in Brazil
Canon Inc. of Tokyo today announced that it’s filed two patent-infringement complaints in Brazil against local companies for infringement of its Brazilian Patent Nos. PI 0720506-6 and PI 0807733-9 relating, respectively, to an “electro-photographic drum unit, processing cartridge and device for producing electro-photographic images.” and to a “developing device and device for producing electro-photographic images for forming an image on a recording medium.” The toner cartridges are being sold for use in various HP Inc. laser-printer models.
Canon is seeking injunctive relief and damages. The District Court Judge in Rio de Janeiro has granted a preliminary injunction and ordered the defendants to stop producing, using, placing for sale, selling or importing, directly or indirectly, the toner cartridges under the penalty of a fine in the event of default. Canon notes however that the judge’s decisions could be challenged by the defendants’ appeals, and final decisions by the court are still pending.
- February 2016: U.K. Ink-Cartridge Remanufacturers Enter into Consent Agreement with Canon
- December 2015: Canon Wins Toner-, Imaging-Drum Patent-Infringement Lawsuit Against ASTA
- December 2015: Katun Says its Canon-Alternative Supplies are IP-Compliant
- October 2015: Canon Wins Injunction Barring TonerPirate.com from Selling Alleged Patent-Infringing Toner Cartridges in the U.S.
- April 2015: Printronic Agrees to Not Sell Alleged Canon Patent-Infringing Toner Cartridges, Drums, in U.S.
- March 2015: CANON WITHDRAWS TONER-CARTRIDGE PATENT-INFRINGEMENT ACTION AGAINST SEINE
- March 2015: X COM SHOP AGREES TO STOP SELLING TONER CARTRIDGES THAT ALLEGEDLY INFRINGE UPON CANON PATENTS
- February 2015 – CANON WINS INJUNCTION PROHIBITING TONER-CARTRIDGE MAKERS FROM SELLING TONER IN THE U.K.
- February 2015 – INTERNATIONAL LASER GROUP AGREES NOT TO SELL DISPUTED TONER FOR USE WITH CANON PRINTERS
- January 2015: CANON WINS JUDGEMENTS BARRING ASTER FROM SELLING DISPUTED TONER CARTRIDGES IN THE U.S., HOLLAND, AND FRANCE
- December 2014 – CANON EXPANDS TONER-CARTRIDGE PATENT-INFRINGEMENT CAMPAIGN TO GERMANY
- November 2014 – CANON TAKES TONER-CARTRIDGE PATENT-ENFORCEMENT CAMPAIGN TO RUSSIA
- October 2014 – LD PRODUCTS SETTLES WITH CANON, AGREES NOT TO SELL DISPUTED TONER CARTRIDGES IN U.S.