Canon Shows First Inkjet Printers with Refillable Ink Tanks, the Pixma G Series
The Indian Express reports that on November 2nd, Canon joined Epson and Brother with its first color inkjet printers, the Pixma G Series, which are equipped with ink tanks that can be refilled with bottles of ink.
The printers consist of four models – the G1000, G2000, G2002, and G3000 – and will reportedly be available in India this month.
The Pixma G Series starts with a basic model, the Pixma G1000. The Pixma G2000 includes two additional bottles of black ink. The flagship Pixma G3000 has 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity and print, copy, and scan, and also supports Google Cloud Print mobile printing.
Canon says that the blank ink tank (shown on the left in the photo above) can hold enough black ink to print up to 6,000 pages, while each cyan, magenta, and yellow ink tank (shown on the right in the photo above) can hold enough ink to print up to 7,000 color pages, and that the printers are equipped with enough ink out-of-the-box to print these page yields.
The company says cost per page is as low as 8-paise for black and 21-paise for color. The target market is small offices and home offices, as well as copy shops. Replacement ink bottles are priced at Rs 499 (approximately $8 U.S.).
Kazutada Kobayashi, president and CEO of Canon India commented, “We are honored to host the global launch of the G series of PIXMA printers here in India today. Canon keeps customer experience at the center of all its innovation. So we are happy to give a firsthand experience to our Indian customers. Canon is a new entrant into the category but we are excited and bullish about capturing approximately 30 percent of the CISS (continuous ink supply system) market by the end of December 2016.”
- August 2015: New Epson EcoTank Inkjets Said to Print up to Two Years Without Needing Ink Replacement
- June 2015: Brother Launches Color Inkjet All-in-Ones with Refillable Ink Tanks in India
- January 2015: Memjet Adds Image Star as U.S. Distributor for Memjet-Powered C6000 Series with Refillable Ink Cartridges
- January 2015: Epson Brings Business Inkjets with Replaceable Ink Packs for Printing Up to 75,000 Pages to the U.S.
- October 2014: Epson Releases New EcoTank All-in-Ones with Refillable Ink Tanks in Western Europe