This Week in Imaging: More on HP’s Printer Financials; Latest IDC Printer-Market Research; UAE Goes Paperless; Other News
Late last week, Hewlett-Packard reported results for its first quarter. Although revenue and earnings were sluggish both for the company and its printer group, HP is still maintaining profitability for its printer group, with an 18.3 percent operating margin. In an earnings call conference, HP CFO Catherine Lesjak noted, “In printing … We continued to manage profitability well, with operating margin of 18.3 percent, down 1.2 points year-over-year, driven by competitive pricing, partially offset by supplies mix, which was 67.6 percent in the quarter.”
IDC has also released its latest research for the worldwide production-printer market, which continues to sail along, with Xerox and Fuji Xerox maintaining the largest worldwide market share. Coincidentally, also this week, Xerox reported that it’ll be expanding its toner-manufacturing facility up in Webster, New York, and it appears that a great part of demand for Xerox EA toner is for use in Xerox and Fuji Xerox production printers.
Also this week, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced that its government operations had gone virtually paperless. In a press release announcing the achievement, the government noted that “for those who stood in the way of this initiative, there would be a farewell party organized for them.” Now that’s the way to motivate workers!
- Slow Second Quarter for HP and Printing Group, Earnings Slide – Read more here.
- IDC: Slight Decline in Worldwide Printer/MFP Market for First-Quarter 2015 – Read more here.
- Xerox Invests $35 Million to Expand Toner-Manufacturing Capacity – Read more here.
- Canon Partners with PrintFleet & Supplies Network to Enhance imageCLASS Printonomics Managed-Print Services – Read more here.
- Select Panasonic Document Scanners Now Bundled with Neat Cloud Service – Read more here.
Commercial and Production-Printing News
- IDC: Slight Decline in Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments in First-Quarter 2015; HP is Leader – Read more here.
- IDC: Positive Gains for Worldwide Production-Printer Market; Xerox is Leader – Read more here.
- United Arab Emirates Claims it’s First Government to Go Paperless – Read more here.