IDC: Slight Decline in Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments in First-Quarter 2015; HP is Leader
According to new data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, large-format printer (LFP) shipments declined by less than -1 percent year-over-year in the first quarter of 2015 (1Q15) while revenue declined by almost -3 percent.
Note that in its research for its Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, IDC trackstracks A2-A0+ devices. The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs).
“The first quarter got the year off to a strong start with key wide format printing technologies like latex, UV, and eco-solvent inkjet (printers) showing nice growth overall. Latex really stood out in the quarter with shipments up over 55 percent compared to the first quarter of last year,” said Phuong Hang, program director of IDC’s Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker. “Some decline in shipments is expected, however, because the average rated speed of wide-format printers is increasing, providing the capacity needed to replace older technologies with fewer new units.”
- The wide-format CAD/Technical printer market segment was a bit soft in 1Q15, with shipments down -1.2 percent from the first quarter of 2014. The decline in toner-based printers continued, with toner-based shipments down -14 percent. Inkjet printer shipments in the CAD (computer assisted design)/technical segment grew slightly (less than 1 percent) when compared to Q1 2014.
- Across all technologies, wide-format graphic-printer shipments were nearly unchanged, but, because the mix is changing towards more productive latex and UV-curable ink printer engines, printer revenue increased more than $5 million in 1Q15.
- Hewlett-Packard is the top supplier of wide-format digital printing systems worldwide. The combination of strength in the CAD/technical market, its dominance in the burgeoning latex-ink category, and a competitive position in the UV-printer market give HP the top position overall.
- Canon maintained its strong number-two position among wide-format printer manufacturers with market share of 21 percent when Canon and Canon-Oce shipments are combined.
- Epson maintained its position as the number-three worldwide supplier to the wide-format digital printer market. Epson is seeing nice growth in the dye-sublimation and technical printer market, and has re-launched its eco-solvent inkjet printer units this spring.
- Roland is the fourth-rated supplier of wide-format printers worldwide, based on its strength in the eco-solvent-ink market and growing presence in UV-ink and dye-sublimation segments.
- Mimaki has grown to become the fifth-largest supplier of wide-format printing systems worldwide, surpassing Ricoh, the latter of which saw a decline in its wide-format toner-based printer shipments.
Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments, Shipment Market Share, and Quarter-over-Quarter Change
2015 Q1 Shipments (K)
2015 Q1 Market Share
2014 Q1 Shipments (K)
2014 Q1 Market Share
2015 Q1/2014Q1 Growth
|2. Canon Group*|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, May 2015
*Canon Group includes Canon and Oce
- Shipments in the Asia/Pacific region were soft in 1Q15, with shipments about 1,000 units lower than in the first quarter of 2014, as graphics providers continue a shift toward higher-value global brands of UV-curable inkjet printers. Lower shipments in Asia/Pacific were offset somewhat by higher shipments in North America and Western Europe.
- There were share changes in the eco-solvent-ink printer market, with Mimaki’s share growing, largely due to its aggressive price promotion and its updating of core wide-format models.
- August 2014: IDC: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments Enjoy Fourth Consecutive Quarter of Growth; Epson Makes Gains
- June 2014: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Posts Third Consecutive Quarter of Growth
- August 2013: U.S. and Japan Wide-Format Printer Markets Show Growth in Second Quarter, Reports IDC
- August 2013: Contraction for Western Europe Large-Format Printer Market in Second Quarter, Reports IDC
- December 2013: IDC: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Returned to Growth in Third Quarter
- September 2013: IDC: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Returned to Growth in Third Quarter
- May 2013: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Sluggish in First Quarter, Reports IDC
- February 2013: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments Show Uneven Signs of Growth and Decline 3% in the Fourth Quarter of 2012, According to IDC
- December 2012: IDC: World-Wide Large-Format Printer Shipments Down Five Percent in Third Quarter, HP Remains Market Leader