HP Wants to Give You 33-Percent More Prints with New JetIntelligence Toner Cartridges
March 11, 2015 – Yesterday in New York, we joined Hewlett-Packard as it unveiled its new JetIntelligence all-in-one toner cartridges, along with three new LaserJets, all of which it says represent it most significant laser printing re-engineering since its introduction of the first LaserJet in 1984.
According to HP, the new JetIntelligence toner cartridges deliver up to 33 percent more prints, and also provide protection against counterfeit toner cartridges with new anti-fraud technology.
The new JetIntelligence toner cartridges – which are designed for use with the three new LaserJets and will be used with future LaserJets down the line, including new LaserJets in the spring and fall – use new HP ColorSphere 3 toner. With ColorSphere 3 toner, tiny toner particles have been re-engineered so that they now consist of a more durable shell and softer wax core. HP says this means they can be fused and melted to paper at a much lower temperature during the imaging process so that less energy is required – saving on energy costs. “it’s a toner that flows easier and melts faster for faster fusing to the paper,” says HP’s Annie Mosier.
HP also says that it’s redesigned parts within the new all-in-one JetIntelligence toner cartridges to be smaller, so that more toner – up to 33 percent more – can be contained within the cartridge – and users get more prints. The firm also says JetIntelligence toner cartridges are 8 – 10 percent less expensive than HP predecessors, and are also smaller and more compact. Toner-cartridge parts are also said to be more “robust” for greater durability for less internal wear, delivering better reliability, so that fewer user interventions are required.
The new JetIntelligence toner cartridges also feature:
- New print-gauge technology, which HP says more intelligently predicts toner levels (that are displayed on the printer/MFP’s touch screen).
- New auto-seal removal, as users no longer have to remove a strip from the toner cartridge before installing it. Instead, the toner seal is now inside the toner cartridge, and is automatically removed during installation,
- New “egg-shell carton” plastic containers instead of boxes; all materials are also recyclable.
The new JetIntelligence toner cartridges consist of a 201A series and a 508A series, both available in X high-yield versions.
The HP 201 JetIntelligence series consists of:
- HP 201A black toner cartridge that yields approximately 1,500 pages, while each HP 201A cyan, magenta, and yellow toner cartridge yields approximately 1,400 pages.
- HP 201X high-yield black toner cartridge that yields approximately 2,800 pages, while each HP 201X cyan, magenta, and yellow toner cartridges yields approximately 2,300 pages.
The HP 508 JetIntelligence series consists of:
- HP 508A black toner cartridge that yields approximately 6,000 pages, while each HP 508A cyan, yellow, and magenta toner cartridge yields approximately 5,000 pages.
- HP 508X black toner cartridge that yields approximately 12,500 pages, while each 508X cyan, yellow, and magenta toner cartridge yields approximately 9,5000 pages.
The new HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw printer and new Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw use the 201A and 201X cartridges, while the new Color LaserJet Enterprise M553 series uses the 508A and 508X cartridges. With the Color LaserJet Enterprise M553 series, using the 508A toner cartridges, cost per page for black is 2.5 cents, and 13.5 cents for color, while using the 508X toner cartridges, cost per page is 1.75 cents for black, and 10.5 cents for color.
New Anti-Fraud Technology
Counterfeit toner cartridges (third-party toner cartridges made by third parties but illegally displaying the HP brand name) are a particular problem in Asia and are a $4 billion a year problem for HP. The JetIntelligence toner cartridges feature a new encyrpted chip and secure communication between the cartridge and printer/MFP to deter counterfeiters. When a counterfeit or refilled and re-used JetIntelligence toner cartridge is installed, the printer/MFP’s touch screen will indicate so. Administrators can also enable a device or fleet with an anti-fraud policy, so that if a JetIntelligence toner cartridge is stolen and removed from one MFP, it can’t be used with another MPF, even if it’s the same model.
- October 2014: HP DELIVERS ITS FIRST 3D PRINTER, SAID TO BE FASTER AND OFFERING MORE OBJECT STRENGTH AND DETAIL
- October 2014: HP TO SPLIT INTO TWO COMPANIES, ONE DEDICATED TO ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS, ONE TO PERSONAL COMPUTING AND PRINTING
- September 2014: HP LOCKS DOWN PRINTERS WITH NEW SECURITY FEATURES, ADVISORY SERVICES, ARCSIGHT PRINTER INTEGRATION, CLOUD PULL PRINT, MORE
- May 2014: HP: PRINTING, INK, CONTINUES TO BOLSTER REVENUE
- April 2014: A CLOSER LOOK AT HP’S FLAGSHIP OFFICEJET ENTERPRISE COLOR FLOW X585Z MFP
- March 2014: HP EXPANDS AUTOMATED CONSUMABLES ORDERING, MAKES MPS PROGRAM AVAILABLE FOR NEW REGIONS
- March 2014: HP ROLLS OUT FIRST ENTERPRISE LASERJET TOUCH-TO-AUTHENTICATE AND PRINT SOLUTION, NEW ENTERPRISE LASERJETS