Revenue, Income up for Epson’s Third Quarter; Ink-Tank Printers Lead Revenue Growth
January 30, 2014 – Seiko Epson of Japan today reported results for its fiscal third quarter, with revenue up 9 percent, and total income for the quarter up 71.9, both versus third-quarter 2013.
Revenue for the first nine months of the Epson’s fiscal year was ¥814.8 billion ($6,759,062 thousand U.S.), up 7.9 percent year-over-year. Business profit was ¥85.4 billion ($709,017 thousand U.S.), up 11.6 percent year-over-year. Profit from operating activities was ¥110.6 billion ($918,083 thousand U.S.), up 56.9 percent year-over-year. Profit for the period was ¥90.6 billion ($751,704 thousand U.S.), up ¥112.0 percent year-over-year.
Within its inkjet-printer business, Epson reports that its inkjet-printer revenue grew in its fiscal third-quarter, as increased unit shipments of inkjet printers with refillable, high-capacity ink tanks and higher-average selling prices more than compensated for a decline in shipments of inkjet printers using ink cartridges. Revenue from consumables also rose, owing to the effects of improvement in the composition of Epson’s inkjet-printer installed base.
Foreign-exchange currency effects also boosted inkjet-printer revenue. Large-format printer revenue was driven up by sales growth in Asia and by foreign-exchange effects. Page-printer revenue decreased due to a decline in consumables volume.
Espon also reported that sales of its entry-level projectors were solid, contributing to record quarterly unit sales.
Epson also revised its full-year forecast. It’s increased its full-year revenue forecast to ¥1,008.4 billion, a 2.8 percent increase versus its previous forecast, but decreased its profit forecast to ¥84.4 billion, versus ¥111.0 billion for its previous forecast.
- January 2015: EPSON BRINGS BUSINESS INKJETS WITH REPLACEABLE INK PACKS FOR PRINTING UP TO 75,000 PAGES TO THE U.S.
- December 2014: EPSON ACQUIRES K-SUN TO EXPAND ITS PRESENCE IN THE INDUSTRIAL LABEL-PRINTING MARKET
- December 2014: EPSON TO INVEST 12.3 BILLION YEN IN INKJET-PRINTER, PROJECTOR, AND SMART-GLASSES MANUFACTURING FACILITY
- December 2014: NEW EPSON A3 BUSINESS INKJET MFP, PRINTER, BRING A3 PRINTING CLOSER TO WORKERS IN SMALL AND MID-SIZE WORKGROUPS
- November 2014: STRONG QUARTER FOR EPSON; HIGHER-PRICED INKJET PRINTERS HELP DRIVE GROWTH
- October 2014: EPSON RELEASES NEW ECOTANK ALL-IN-ONES WITH REFILLABLE INK TANKS IN WESTERN EUROPE
- July 2014: REVENUE AND EARNINGS EXCEED EPSON’S EXPECTATIONS FOR LATEST QUARTER
- April 2014: EPSON REPORTS SHARP IMPROVEMENT FOR FISCAL YEAR; SALES OF HIGH-CAPACITY INKJETS LIFT REVENUE
- February 2014: EPSON REPORTS SALES, INCOME UP; SALES OF INKJET CONSUMABLES INCREASING