New Epson A3 Business Inkjet MFP, Printer, Bring A3 Printing Closer to Workers in Small and Mid-Size Workgroups
December 2, 2014 – Epson America is expanding its portfolio of business-inkjet systems with two new A3 (print and scan on up to 11″x17″ paper) printing solutions that are powered by Epson’s new PrecisionCore color inkjet printing technology, the WorkForce Pro WF-8590 and WF-8090. Designed for small and mid-size companies and corporate workgroups, the new systems print at up to 24 ppm in color and black-and-white, and have maximum monthly volumes of up to 75,000 pages, with a recommended monthly volume of up to 5,000 pages.
With the new systems, Epson is promising cost savings of up to 40-percent lower than printing with A3 color laser systems priced under $1,999 – promising both a lower Cost per Page and lower energy-consumption costs versus comparable laser systems. Both the WorkForce Pro WF-8590 MFP (print, copy, scan, and fax – all in color) and WF-8090 (single-function color printer) support up to 13” x 19” printing on a variety of media, including envelopes and labels. With Epson’s ultra-high yield cartridges, users can print up to 7,000 color pages, and there’s a total paper capacity of up to 1,830 sheets with optional paper trays. (Note that the Epson Ultra High-Yield 748XXL black cartridge yields about 10,000 ISO pages, while each cyan, magenta, and yellow Epson DURABrite Pro 748XXL cartridge yields about 7,000 ISO pages.)
“Business decision-makers and their solutions providers are moving A3 printing closer to the knowledge workers who print a high volume of color pages,” commented Larry Trevarthen, director of Business Imaging for Epson America. “This move not only minimizes workflow disruption, but with the new WorkForce Pro 8000-Series, it can also optimize the costs of color printing. These new Epson models are designed to augment traditional ‘big iron’ machines – not replace them – to more conveniently deliver the wide-format color documents produced by companies in sectors such as manufacturing, healthcare, and financial services.”
Other WorkForce Pro 8000 Series features include:
- Epson ESC/P-R, PCL 5 and PCL 6 print drivers, as well as a PostScript 3 emulation print driver.
- Secure print (users enter a PIN number at the control panel in order to release their job for printing); control user access; configure printer and network settings via Web configuration with the printer’s IP address; SSL/TLS security; and IPSec support.
- Automatic duplex printing, and automatic paper-size detection; the WorkForce Pro WF-8590 adds automatic two-sided copy, fax, and scan, and includes scan to cloud (requires Internet connection and a free Epson Connect account), scan-to-email, and Epson Document Capture Pro software.
- Ethernet network connectivity, USB port, Wireless b/g/n6 connectivity, and Wi-Fi Direct; print from tablets and smartphones, including remote printing, and accessing cloud-based information storing and sharing sites..
- Enabled for remote printer data collection – Compatible with managed print services (MPS) software solutions from Epson partners PrintFleet, ECi (which markets FMAudit), and others.
- Equipped with Epson Standard-Capacity 748 black cartridge yielding about 2,500 pages, with each cyan, magenta, and yellow ink cartridge yielding about 1,500 pages. The Epson 748XL High-capacity black ink cartridge yields about 5,500 pages, while each 748XL cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridge yields about 4,000 pages. As noted, there’s extra-high capacity cartridges; the 748XXL black cartridge yields about 10,000 pages, while each cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridge yields about 7,000 pages.
- Includes the Epson Connect suite of mobile- and remote-printing solutions that consists of Epson Email Print, Epson iPrint Mobile App, and Epson Remote Print. Also supports Apple AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, and Kindle Fire, the last of which is for printing from Kindle Fire mobile devices.
The WorkForce Pro WF-8590 and WF-8090 will be available in January 2015 through the Epson ImageWay Partner Program to channel partners, and through authorized commercial channel resellers.
At Epson’s summer 2014 product-preview show, Wirth Consulting got a hands-on look at both the WorkForce Pro WF-8590 and WF-8090. Both represent Epson’s next-generation business-inkjet strategy. With high-capacity ink cartridges, high maximum total paper capacity, and compatibility with various MPS solutions for management, they represent Epson’s most concentrated attack yet on the small and mid-workgroup laser segment, and we should expect more such products in the future.