New Ricoh MFP Series with Optional Smart Operation Panel for Tablet and Smartphone Use
November 19, 2014 – Ricoh Americas is rolling out a new line of smartphone- and tablet-friendly mono MFPs that it says provide powerful information-management capabilities, as well as 11” x 17” printing, and which are designed for mid-size to large workgroups.
Ricoh says its new MP 2554, MP 3054, and MP 3554 – with print speeds of up to 25, 30, and 35 ppm, respectively and with pricing starting at $6,400 – provide users with new levels of information mobility, enabling them to control their MFP via their smartphone or tablet.
Using the new Ricoh Smart Device Connector app (available for iOS and Android), users can walk up to one of the new MFPs and automatically take control via QR code or NFC (Near Field Communication) tag on the MFP’s optional Smart Operation Panel. From there, they can print, scan, copy, and fax using preferences and contacts pre-configured in their smartphone or tablet.
- A doctor can place an X-ray on the MFP’s scanning platen, and scan the image scan to their smartphone or tablet.
- A salesman can print out a presentation directly from his tablet.
- A fashion designer can scan printed designs to the email accounts residing on her smartphone.
“Essentially, the smartphone or tablet becomes your personal user interface for the MFP reflecting your pre-configured preferences and contacts,” commented Matt Sakauchi, vice president of technology marketing for Ricoh Americas. “That means one click instead of many and an ultra-intuitive experience. This is a perfect example of information mobility, the ability to seamlessly move the right information to the right people at just the right time in the right form.”
Ricoh’s optional Smart Operation Panel for the MP 2554, MP 3054, and MP 3554 provides tablet-like pinch-flick-and-swipe navigation via a 10.1-inch Super VGA touch screen. The panel also includes an advanced Web browser enabling connection to Ricoh’s Integrated Cloud Environment (ICE).
With resolution of up to 1,200 dpi, the MFP series optionally includes Ricoh’s Stapleless Finisher that binds as many as five sheets of paper together without any metal fasteners. Also helping to reduce environmental impact are energy-efficient features that have earned the series Energy Star certification. The MFPs are also EPEAT Gold-rated in the United States for meeting specific environmental criteria in areas such as End-of-Life Management and Indoor Air Quality.
Other features of note include:
- The MFPs integrate with Ricoh’s optional HotSpot Enterprise, so that users can print directly to an MFP from mobile devices.
- Color or black-and-white scanning at up to 79 images per minute (ipm). The high-compression PDF function helps keep file sizes small while maintaining image quality. Scan to email, folder, and FTP sites is supported.
- Send faxes from a PC with PC fax, and automatically route received faxes to an email address, hard drive, or network folders. With optional embedded optical character recognition (OCR) software, users can make PDF files searchable. The optional OCR recognizes text in up to 14 languages.
- Optional integration with Ricoh’s Integrated Cloud Environment (ICE), a cloud scanning and cloud printing service that can connect to their other cloud-based services, and which can be accessed from the MFP’s touch screen. See here for more on ICE.
- Incorporates a 533 MHz CPU, 320-GB hard drive, and up to 2 GB RAM of memory, and 10Base-T/100/1000BaseTX Ethernet network interface. Compatible with Windows PC, Apple Mac, Citrix, SAP, UNIX, AS/400, and other environments.
- Security includes DataOverwriteSecurity System (DOSS) for the hard drive, and hard-drive encryption, as well as user authentication,
- Touch screen may be personalized for individual workflows; optional GlobalScan NX provides easier hard-copy to digital workflows.
The MP 2554 is available for an MSRP of $6,400, the MP 3054 for $8,350, and the MP 3554 for $9,880. These new models replace Ricoh’s MP 2553, MP 3053, and MP 3353, respectively
- Ricoh Launches Monochrome Desktop Printer, MFP for the Retail Channel, Start at $199
- New Ricoh A3 Color MFPs Feature Cloud Connectivity, Smartphone Apps, Staple-Less Finisher
- Latest ‘Smart Multifunctionals’ from Ricoh, the MP 2553, MP 3053, and MP 3353 Feature ICE Platform
- Ricoh Maps Out Strategy for Moving from ‘Speeds and Feeds’ to Mobile Documents and Faster Business Processes