Top News for the Week of 8/25/2014 – New HP Instant Ink-Subscription All-in-Ones; Canon Supports Android; Latest Worldwide Printer/MFP Shipments; More
Cost per Page (CPP): At its most basic, CPP is the cost of imaging supplies used per standard page, including ink or toner, imaging drums, fuser units, transfer belts, etc. Why are we talking about CPP? The reason is that although Hewlett-Packard’s four new inkjet All-in-Ones are interesting for several reasons (the first being their extensive mobile-printing options), what’s most interesting is that they’re all qualified for HP’s innovative Instant Ink Program. Under this program, users pay a monthly fee for ink based on the number of pages they print. The four new additions to the Instant Ink program complement HP’s recent roll out of Instant Ink Professional, under which, for instance, users can print up to 1,000 pages per month for $39.99, regardless of page coverage or black-and-white or color output. (Currently, HP’s high-volume Officejet Pro X476/X576 are qualified for Instant Ink Professional.) HP also added its Officejet Pro 8610, Officejet Pro 8620, and Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-Ones to the Instant Ink program. Along with the four new models, by our count, HP currently has 12 models eligible for either Instant Ink or Instant Ink Professional.
Both Instant Ink and Instant Ink Professional are designed to address one of users’ perennial complaints about inkjet in the home or office – that ink is too expensive. Both programs go a long way in addressing this, as users can now purchase ink for select inkjet models at a very economical cost per page. As for HP’s other printing initiatives, we’ll be visiting with HP next week in New York City to learn what’s on the horizon for HP printing, so stay tuned.
In response to the growing popularity of the Android OS for mobile devices, both HP and Canon continue to add Android OS mobile-printing support. Several new HP Officejet printers are now compatible with the Android OS system Enablement Printing mobile-printing, while this week Canon also responded with an Android OS solution.
Products and Solutions
- Fuji Xerox Printer Not only Prints Your Documents, but Delivers Them to Your Desk – Read more here.
- Five New Canon imageCLASS A4 Mono Models for Home and Small Business, Start at $169 – Read more here.
- New Therefore Online Cloud-Based Information-Management System from Canon – Read more here.
- HP Launches Four New Mobile-Printing Friendly Inkjet All-in-Ones with Instant Ink Program – Read more here.
- IDC: Worldwide Printer/MFP Mainstream Consumer Adoption of 3D Printing is Five Years Away – Read more here.
- Strong Printer/MFP Growth in Middle-East, Reports IDC – Read more here.
- IDC: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments Enjoy Fourth Consecutive Quarter of Growth; Epson Makes Gains