Top News for the Week of 8/11/2014 – Printer, MFP Shipments Up; Key Legal Rulings for MPHJ Technology, Kodak; More
This week, some of the most interesting news came from market-research firm International Data Corporation (IDC) with its Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker (which covers printers, MFPs, and copiers that print on and/or scan A2- to A4-size media). According to IDC, the Western Europe market for printers/MFPs/copiers enjoyed its fifth consecutive quarter of growth, with shipments up 5 percent versus second-quarter 2013. The usual winners were MFPs versus standalone printers, and color units versus monochrome units.
Also of note is the continuing growth of business-class inkjet printers and All-in-Ones, but the total inkjet market as a whole did well, with business inkjet shipments growing 12.9 percent, and consumer-inkjet shipments growing 8.2 percent, both versus the second-quarter of 2013. In comparison, in the three biggest printer/MFP markets in Western Europe – Germany, the United Kingdom, and France – monochrome laser shipments were either flat or declined. Worldwide, recent data from IDC also favors color laser and business inkjet versus monochrome laser.
While this data may seem gloomy for monochrome printers, it’s worth noting that monochrome devices do still have a few particular advantages versus color devices. First, monochrome laser printers are quite durable and aren’t prone to wearing out – this may account for flat sales, but for vendors, that means monochrome devices still supply a steady source of supplies and service revenue. Second, we contend that the A4 monochrome printer is the basic building block for all of the digital- imaging requirements in many offices and companies. Although overall print volumes are gradually declining as digital workflows (hardcopy to digital) become more prevalent, we argue that virtually every business has a monochrome printing workflow at its document-workflow core.
That said, let’s propose that you’re in the banking or healthcare industry, or any other walk-up industry. How do you choose the best A4 monochrome printer to support the core of your business – that is print volumes consisting of short-run customer data, data sheets, and forms?
We’ve done the work for these customers with our latest Head2Head (H2H) Comparison that compares 11 Enterprise-Ready A4 B/W Printers from virtually every vendor. In spite of what seems like an easy comparison, it was far from it, due to the many factors involved: Cost per Page; Total Cost of Ownership; security; ease of deployment and management; performance; and modularity.
We found that although all of the printers had feature sets that complied with our definition of “enterprise-ready,” there was still a wide disparity in published supply and maintenance costs. That is, enough of a disparity to declare the OKI B721dn “Best in Class,” even though it had the highest MSRP – but this was balanced out by its low Cost per Page, modularity, performance, and other factors. For more, please check out our review.
New Products and Solutions
- Sharp Extends A4 Lineup with 30-PPM Desktop Color MFP with Support for Sharp OSA – Read more here.
- Riso Announces Industry’s First In-Line Full-Color Print-to-Mail Solution – Read more here.
- OKI Expands Commercial-Printing Portfolio with New Entry-Level C711DW Digital-Color Label Printer – Read more here.
- Revenue up for Nuance’s Third Quarter, but Firm Reports a Loss – Read more here.
- Improved Earnings for Kodak in Second Quarter, Smaller Loss for Nuance’s Third Quarter, but Firm Reports a Loss – Read more here.
- Review: Enterprise-Ready A4 B/W Printers – OKI’s B721DN is Best in Class – Read more here.
- IDC: Western Europe Printer/Copier/MFP Market Continues to Strengthen – Read more here.
- Federal Audit Reveals Texas Agency – not Xerox – Responsible for State’s Medicaid Problems – Read more here.
- MPS Software Provider PrintFleet and Toner-Optimization Provider Preton to Join Forces – Read more here.
- Xerox Appoints John Corley President of Xerox Channel Partner Operations – Read more here.
- Authorities Seize 35,000 Counterfeit Printer Ink Cartridges in Saudi Arabia – Read more here.
- Can Your Printers and MFPs Print from Chrome? Chromebook Sales to Reach 5.2 Million – Read more here.
- Vermont AG Suit Against ‘Patent Troll’ MPHJ Technology to Proceed – Read more here.
- Judge Gives Favorable Ruling to Collins Inkjet in Dispute with Kodak – Read more here.
The Third Dimension