Top News for the Week of 6/16/2014 – What Sets New OKI A3 Apart; 100-ppm inkjet from Epson; More
This week, there was lots of new hardware, from OKI Data, Ricoh, Lexmark, and Konica Minolta. In a sign of the times, this week it was OKI Data and Lexmark adding new A3 hardware, while Ricoh and Konica Minolta added A4 desktop units.
(Speaking of Konica Minolta Business Systems [KMBS], this week, we noted that, as promised, KMBS U.S. is now listing 3D printers – sourced from 3D Systems – on its Web site [see below]. In total, there are six Color Jet 3D printers being marketed, and four Multi Jet 3D printers.)
In particular this week, we take an in-depth look at OKI Data’s new A3 Executive Series. OKI has designed the new A3 LED-based MFPs to be very competitive with other A3 MFPs, as they provide as standard several features that are optional with competitive A3 MFPs, including a standard 100-sheet RADF and standard 1,200-sheet paper capacity.
Meanwhile, Ricoh continues its strategy to bring its A3 MFP feature set and ICE (Integration Cloud Environment) to its A4 desktop MFPs with its new MP C401 ($5,880 MSRP) and MP C401SR ($6,405 MSRP). Although MSRP is high compared to competitive A4 color desktop units from the likes of Xerox, Hewlett-Packard, and OKI that users can purchase directly, dealers have a lot of leeway in adjusting prices. and cost per page and total cost of ownership will likely be very competitive.
It may not come to pass, but Samsung is reportedly in talks to acquire Nuance Communications. While Nuance is most well-known for its voice-recognition technology, it also sources various products for scanning, document-workflow, and print management, such as ecopy and Equitrac, to MFP vendors. What will happen if Samsung now owns these products? The good news for MFP vendors is that Nuance is also reportedly in talks with Apple, to whom it sources, Siri, so that Samsung’s day in the sun may never happen.
New Products and Solutions
- OKI: New ‘Executive Series’ A3 Color MFPs for BTA Designed to Beat the Competition – Read more here.
- Epson Previews 100-PPM Inkjet Printer with Page-Wide Print Head, Replaceable Ink Packs – Read more here.
- New Desktop A4 Color MFPs from Ricoh Feature Enterprise-Feature Set, ICE – Read more here.
- Lexmark Extends A3 ‘Smart’ Product Family with MS911, MX910 Series – Read more here.
- Konica Minolta Expands A4 Desktop Lineup with bizhub C3110 All-in-One, bizhub C3110P Printer – Read more here.
- IDC: Enterprises Driving Demand for More Seamless Mobile Printing – Read more here.
- Stratasys’ 3D Printing Plays Leading Role in Making Iconic ‘RoboCop’ Suit – Read more here.
- Printer Shipments up Nine Percent in Western Europe, Reports Context – Read more here.
- Kyocera Expands Printer/MFP Parts-Procurement and Development with New Company in China – Read more here.
- Samsung in Talks to Buy Nuance, According to Wall Street Journal – Read more here.
- NewWave Technologies to Distribute Epson’s Complete Line of Document Scanners – Read more here.
- Lexmark Increases Offer for Outstanding Shares of ReadSoft – Read more here.