Top News for the Week of 6/9/2014 – HP PageWide Inkjet for Large Format, Xerox Targeting High-Speed Inkjet, More
This week, inkjet was again in the news, with news from Hewlett-Packard, Kodak, and Xerox.
In particular, this week’s inkjet news involved the commercial and production high-speed inkjet segment – a segment IDC recently pinpointed as enjoying exceptional growth. According to IDC research, the worldwide continuous-feed, digital production-printing market is experiencing a major technology shift – from electrophotography (EP) to high-speed inkjet (HSIJ).
According to IDC, this will continue through the 2014-2018 forecast period. Placements of both monochrome and color EP equipment declined in the past year, while HSIJ installations continue on their growth path. IDC expects HSIJ to reach $1 billion in equipment sales by 2018 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.8 percent.
By technology segment, IDC research finds the following worldwide engine unit placement changes from 2012 to 2013:
(For more information, see IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker.)
Last week, IDC also reported that the worldwide printer/MFP/copier market reached its third consecutive quarter of growth. This week, the good news continues with the firm reported that the Middle East and Turkey printer/copier/MFP market is growing at a double-digit clip.
How good is Konica Minolta’s worldwide MFP business? Good enough that it’s setting up a new facility for producing MFP consumables. The firm also says the new facility, located in Malaysia, will also help it reduce risks to its consumables’ supply chain.
New Products and Solutions
- In ‘Disruptive’ Move, HP Brings PageWide Color Inkjet Printing to Large-Format Production Printing – Read more here.
- New Kodak Prosper 6000 Inkjet Production Printers from Kodak- Read more here.
- Sharp Expands A4 Product Line with MX-C300P A4 Desktop Color Printer – Read more here.
- HP Rolls out Next-Generation HP Indigo 7800 and WS6800 Digital Presses for Printers – Read more here.
- OKI Data Launches ‘Mobile Print’ App for Android for Wide Range of MFPs and Printers – Read more here.
- ITC Investigating Alleged Patent-Infringement of Canon Laser-Printer Supplies – Read more here.
- Xerox Aims to Build Production Inkjet Portfolio Comparable to Toner Portfolio – Read more here.
- Middle East and Turkey Printer/MFP Market Growing at Double-Digit Clip – Read more here.
- Xerox Joins SERI, a Non-Profit Group for Recycling – Read more here.
- Xerox Gets Approval to Acquire ISG Health-Payments Businesses for $255 Million – Read more here.
- New B2B Global Brand Campaign from Toshiba, ‘Together Information’ – Read more here.
- Sharp Wins Contract with North Carolina to Supply MFP/Copiers – Read more here.
- Konica Minolta Setting up New Plant in Malaysia to Produce MFP Consumables – Read more here.
The Third Dimension