Top News for the Week of 5/27/2014 – Ink Still Flowing at HP; Ricoh Goes Retail; More
Last week, the big news was about Hewlett-Packard, which reported essentially flat revenue growth for its first quarter. versus its first quarter a year ago.
However, in a May 22nd conference call, HP executives provided a deeper look at revenue (HP: Printing, Ink, Continues to Bolster Revenue). Interestingly, while HP’s total printer-hardware revenue was down for the first quarter versus a year ago, HP’s office-oriented inkjets (Ink in the Office) and Ink Advantage units’ revenue each grew double digits year-over-year. At the same time, printer ink supplies continues to make up the greater part of HP’s printer-supplies revenue.
Moving far upstream from desktop and office printing, earlier in May, HP also expanded in inkjet, with a new ink-based offering for commercial printing, the Scitex 1500 Corrugated Press. This is a heavy-duty inkjet-based system for printing on packaging materials and cardboard, for instance, for producing displays such as the stand-up display pictured below, which is designed for showcasing gardening products. The massive HP Scitex 1500, which weighs 18,740 lbs, is also pictured below.
Hewlett-Packard’s Scitex 1500 Corrugated Press
The latest news in the inkjet world will continue next week on June 3rd, when Wirth Consulting reports on intriguing new developments from Epson, so please stay tuned.
Meanwhile, in the 3D printer market, prices continue to fall while 3D-printer software is getting better – paralleling what we saw in the desktop printer market decades ago. Today, you can get a home 3D printer, the Mod-T (right), for just $250.
Last but not least: interesting finding of the week from Copier Careers: the average U.S. copier technician’s salary is $42,031 – not bad, considering that, according to the U.S. Census bureau, the average American household (which typically includes more than one wage earner) is approximately $50,000.
- HP: Printing, Ink Continues to Bolster Revenue – Read more here.
- HP Revenue Flat for Second Quarter; More Layoffs – Read more here.
New Products and Solutions
- Ricoh Launches Desktop Printer, MFP for the Retail Channel, Start at $199 – Read more here.
- Next-Generation ABBYY Recognition Server Features Extended PDF Capabilities, Direct SharePoint Integration – Read more here.
- PretonSaver Can Now be Used to Verify Printing-Cost Savings with Xerox ColorQube Printers – Read more here.
- Canon Continues Fight Against Third-Party Toner Cartridge Makers, this Time in France – Read more here.
- Katun Refutes Canon Patent-Infringement Lawsuit – Read more here.
- Copier Careers: Average Salary for Copier Tech is $42,031 – Read more here.
- Former HP Exec Matthew Smith is New VP of Sales and Marketing for Samsung’s Printing Group – Read more here.
The Third Dimension